Roblox Audio API Exits Beta: Enhanced Sound Controls Now Available

One potential game that could be made is something that relates to players singing, and matching the voice to that, I also was working on a DJ booth in which players could hook up a controller to their output and control all the lights and things dynamically based on the audio spectrum.

4 Likes

Ah I see… could there be a way to make :GetSpectrum to return frequencies spaced evenly on a logarithmic scale, rather than linearly? Especially on lower frequencies, a lot of precision is lost.

The way I imagine Logic’s distortion working is it “ignores” frequencies out of the given range. Now that I think of it, though, I can imagine a setup that mirrors this!

I see what you mean here. I was just picturing a way to make sounds “float” in a players head without scripting 3D space movement, though maybe leaving that panning math to the engine is ideal! Might just be me being used to seeing the pan dial on every track in Logic.

4 Likes

could there be a way to make :GetSpectrum to return frequencies spaced evenly on a logarithmic scale, rather than linearly? Especially on lower frequencies, a lot of precision is lost.

Yeah I feel you – will check what’s possible

I was just picturing a way to make sounds “float” in a players head without scripting 3D space movement

I think if you use an Attachment with a fixed offset from the listener, that can be done!

3 Likes

This is actually a really great update and change. Love the new UIs!

2 Likes

Awesome update! Roblox should add more useful updates like this! :+1:

2 Likes

Great job, especially the curve editor with all the fine tuning is a very welcome addition.

2 Likes

OMG this is one of the greatest updates to studio this year W roblox

2 Likes

So with this, do we ditch the native sound objects now? Are they an outdated away of producing sounds?

We’re not going to remove Sounds, so it’s up to you – Sounds, SoundEffects, and SoundGroups make heavy use of hierarchical, parent/child relationships to infer how they’re supposed to behave, and this prevents them from accomplishing some use-cases altogether – but if those use-cases don’t come up in your regular development, the existing APIs aren’t going anywhere!

3 Likes

This looks awesome! Can’t wait to see how it’ll be used in games.

2 Likes

Congrats on the team on realizing this massive effort.
Love the approach that you are going more and more visual to us as creators,!

2 Likes

Let’s go!! I’m guessing these aren’t available for publishing yet though?
Still, I’m super excited for TTS and STT whenever you get around to that!

2 Likes

These? Indeed, all of the documented API instances are ready to go and have been used by some already!

2 Likes