Roblox Chat builds an obby, and you can too!

Hey Creators!

Last Friday, we had a staff stream with Sr. Software Engineer Minty, where she implemented chat’s obby ideas live in Roblox Chat builds an Obby!

Today, we’re sharing the place file with all of you to riff on and continue to build your own obbies!

Make sure to check out the Platformer template in Roblox Studio as well to get started quickly!

Show us what you built!

If there’s enough interest, Minty and I can do a follow up stream where we play through the obbies that all of you make! If there was something you couldn’t quite figure out, let us know too and there’s a chance Minty might select your submission and walk you through how to make that one idea that got away!

Submit the uncopylocked links to your obby in this thread for us to play, along with any wishlist mechanics you’d want Minty to explain to you. We’ll play as many as we can and choose the ones that would be the best fit for the stream :tada:. We’re looking forward to what you’ll all make!

Stream recap

If you missed the stream, you can catch the VOD on our Youtube Channel, but the TL;DR is that in just an hour, Minty was able to make:

Alternating collidable platforms

“Each time you jump, certain blocks become uncollidable, they become collidable when you jump again” by skal

gg1

Implementing a wallhop

“Wallhop” by noted (though we did a “wall jump”, not technically a true wallhop, but hey)

gg2

Disappearing obstacles

“Obstacle that disappears when you look at it” by creatorofchocolatecak

gg3

Alternating obstacles

And “a beam where it flashes orange and blue, orange means you have to run through the beam and blue means you have to stand still in the beam” by TheBOTT

gg4

ALL OF THAT in just an hour, on top of the existing code for checkpoints as well as killblocks, and the jumps used in the Platformer Template.

What else?

If you’re wanting inspiration on what you could add, our past streams about physics could give some ideas for physics based challenges (Low gravity? Rotating parts, anyone?) If you want to dress up your course a little, our past streams on worldbuilding and 3D modeling can help you shape its aesthetic.

Happy creating!

38 Likes

cool! looks amazing. will try it out

4 Likes

HOW I DO THIS BRAH

8 Likes

Dash, Jump, Dash while constantly moving forwards

6 Likes

undertale reference???

Honestly this is pretty cool, and this really promotes roblox staff communication

10 Likes

I tried adding more mechanics: ahmoin/obby - Roblox

Additions:

• slippery ice platforms
  • spinning damage part
  • flipping platforms

Couldn’t get flipping platforms working that well.

11 Likes

Hello there ! Here’s my take on the obby you created last livestream :

Additions :

1. Gravity Fields :

• While in a blue forcefield gain a low gravity effect wich lets you travel longer distances when jumping.

2. Super Jump Fields (Very creative...) :

• While in an orange forcefield you can jump higher and reach imposible platforms.

3. Fans :

• Get lanched at high speeds when in front of a fan.

4. Button Locked Doors:

• When a button is triggered a door will open for a short amount of time.

5. Moveable killbricks:

• pretty self explanatory (and also ran of ideas to describe it in a good maner…)

Problems Encountered :

I tried to make sticky walls but i couldn’t get my head wrapped around how i could implent this system. There’s a pseudo code in replicated storage called sticky walls but it does not work very well. Another problem that i ran to and i always do on every project is import objects (such as the fan) not being loaded on the client wich in turn causes my script to not work because of filtering enabled, it seems that :GetInstanceAddedSignal() fires even if the object wasn’t loaded in. Fixed the issue highlited in red by changing the model’s streaming mode and tweaking the code a little.

15 Likes