ROBLOX Client unable to open for some players

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.
    ROBLOX Client is having issues atm. Some players can’t open the client (We get as far as “Starting Roblox…” then the little window goes away and the client never opens.) I am assuming this is due to some kind of API failure on ROBLOX’s backend though it only seems to affect some players. (A friend of mine can still join games)

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.
    Every attempt to join any game or anything involving opening the ROBLOX client.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.
    All games.

• Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.
    This is the furthest the client gets before the small window goes away and the client never opens: https://i.imgur.com/5L36AWV.png

• For graphics bugs, it is sometimes helpful to know your system specs, especially graphics card.
    Don’t think it’s graphics related but Windows 10 Pro, NVidia GeForce 970 (x2) SLI

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.
    1/30/2018 Approx. 8:00 PM CST

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.
    This seems to only affect some players. I and a few others in the ROBLOX Unofficial discord are having this issue yet my friend doesn’t seem to have it. I’ve tried everything from uninstalling, removing the roblox folder, deleting the roblox registry keys, completely removing every trace of ROBLOX from my computer, restarting and reinstalling and it still didn’t fix it so… yeah… not much else to do.

15 Likes

Update: After the patch today (1/31/2018 1:30 PM CST ish) this is still happening. Still can’t open any games from desktop. @CodeWriter

5 Likes

Having the same issue as well. But instead of getting the screenshot of what you got, I get this instead:

As you can see it says it’s loading, then asks for me to install it. It’s pretty odd.

1 Like

I have found a temporary workaround for those on Windows 10: Use the windows mobile version of ROBLOX to play games. (Not as good, some keybinds are broken, but until this gets repaired it at least lets you play) https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NBLGGGZM6WM

2 Likes

Oddly enough I just tried on a different browser and it worked.

This type of behavior is most commonly caused by anti-virus. Do you have any AV installed? If you do can you try disabling it temporarily and seeing if that fixes the issue?

1 Like

For me the browser doesn’t matter. I’ve tried turning off my AV and firewall entirely and it had no effect.

Edit: I’ve also closed all other programs to ensure none of them were interfering with the client.

1 Like

I have made a full screen recording showing the issue as well as showing that all protections on my computer were turned off: https://puu.sh/zeas3/0e0d395be5.mp4

1 Like

I have this issue as well it happened to me before like a month ago for only a day. It started again 2 days ago I just use the app store version of roblox as a work around.

1 Like
2 Likes

We think we have found the source of the issue and disabled it, please let us know if this issue is continuing to happen for you

8 Likes