Roblox Community Rules Update

Seems like that’s the way they want you to do it. Only for it to show for 13+

No, it seems to mean that you can’t make ads that are targeted towards under 13s (toys, slime etc.)

just wanted to say people can lie about their age very easily

anyways I don’t know how I feel about the original post tbh

I am proposing this as an alternative to the widely known but CoreScript locked player:GetUnder13(). Even that function won’t be able to get a player’s REAL age.

True but adverts for general audiences like clothing might be a grey area so I’m wonder if stuff like that might not be allowed.

You have to realize that Bloxbiz is basically irrelevant to Roblox. They are so small there is no reason that Roblox should ever have to contact them or even know they exist.

If you want to advertise on your games, rely on getting the sponsorships yourself or with a manager, not through an intermediary like Bloxbiz.

Allowing content into your game without you specifically knowing it is in there has been against the rules for a while now, specifically with allowing users to insert decals etc. Bloxbiz does this and I’m glad Roblox is now expanding the rules to include all content added without prior manual review by the developer.

2 Likes

No? Bloxbiz has advertised Space Jam, Pattric Star, Boss Baby: Family Buisness, Luca, Spirit Untamed, Monsters at Work, Sonic, My Hero Acadamia all within the past 3 months and have partnerships with massive companies? How exactly is that “small”?

All of those movies/shows are from the largest entertainment companies in the world like Disney, Universal, etc (much larger then Roblox) and for all we know these advertisement campaigns could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Not everyone has the power to do this, not everyone is a top 0.1% game, that’s what Bloxbiz is for.

14 Likes

I don’t care who they got as advertisers, I could contact agencies and do the same thing. What I’m saying is that they are a small fish in a big sea. I never even heard about them until now and I’m sure many others haven’t as well. Roblox doesn’t have the obligation to stay up to date on every little thing that occurs on their website.

On top of that, the rule that developers must know what is going into their game has been around for a while now so them expanding on it to include advertising like Bloxbiz is just them making sure it doesn’t get around the rules already in place.

Roblox already advertises with Disney etc and by the looks of it, Bloxbiz doesn’t even do the advertising directly with these big companies but instead uses their partners in order to get the ads. If anything Bloxbiz is simply leeching off of inexperienced developers on Roblox with a “new” feature that pays very little while they cash in. Looking at their current partnerships I think I can safely say they have no direct involvement with the big advertisers that you have mentioned but instead get them through partners.

Basically if anybody but the developer is able to change the content in a game, aka the advertisement board, then it is against the rules and Bloxbiz breaks this rule. Roblox has no obligation to acknowledge Bloxbiz’s policies or promises.

6 Likes

This question isn’t about the new changes, though something came to my attention about the rules around creating promotions for prizes.

“in exchange for a thumb up on your game”

I would assume this is because there is no sort of way for developers to know if a certain user has given the game a thumbs up or not,

However, would having milestones for thumbs up which would release a new item that becomes available to everyone, be allowed?

As an example, you promote that when the game reaches 20k likes everyone we release a new scooter that everyone (new or returning) can use for free.

4 Likes

This whole thread reminds me of that one scene in Ready Player One

Picture

The line goes something like “We estimate we can sell up to 80% of a user’s vision without inducing seizures”. Some games already look like that without 3rd party ads. I don’t even want to imagine what would happen if we decide to go down that rabbit hole.

We already see ads everywhere (websites, youtube, apps, tv, twich, even on roblox). Please no ads ingame too.

3 Likes

With respect, it is difficult for me to agree with this statement.

As I stated in my original message, the Community Rules we’re altered on January 29th. This was about the same time when activity in Bloxbiz was really starting to pick up. Now the Community Rules have been altered again as Bloxbiz has really gained traction and shown what it is capable of.

It would be quite the coincidence to have these changes play out this way and Roblox be unknowing of who Bloxbiz is.

5 Likes

There is a reason why ads exist, because they make the developers money. Anyway, this is not banning ads but third-party ads,

You do not, however, view the website based algorithms and everything else, which is what matters here, not the framework which acts as a gateway.

3 Likes

However, it was an extra stream of revenue for some people that Roblox just took away.

3 Likes

If Roblox were to make their own version of Bloxbiz they could ensure that every ad is safe while maintaining that revenue stream. That could be a solution that works for everyone.

3 Likes

They had a service like it. It was called AdService, however they removed it… and I think it was mobile only and rather intrusive. Bloxbiz isn’t intrusive like it was, they’re just billboard ads that you can choose to ignore.

4 Likes

Seems like this is kinda out of the random when businesses like Bloxbiz and others have been providing safe advertising material to developers now for a while and have never caused a issue nor had the issue of privacy concerns as the coding simply does not track users across experiences like that?

5 Likes

Thank you for providing us with insight on your efforts to help developers with their monetization options on the platform. The policy changes surrounding dynamic advertisements are necessary for us to ensure the safety for all users on the platform. Added to the Q&A to make the enforcement strategy clearer surrounding this change.

15 Likes

It’s rather unfortunate still that it will cut off potential income of developers. With a heavily moderated dynamic ad service, it’d be nice if it were still allowed. I think roblox should really consider making their own type of service that can provide developers with dynamic advertisements that are approved by roblox so that an entire income stream isn’t completely cut off from their options. It’s sad to see that after getting major brand deals Bloxbiz can’t really operate anymore because of this policy change. I really want to know if roblox really went over the pros/cons of this effectively because it really feels like there’s many more cons for developers than pros for users especially when no data tracking is involved, just rather even moderated dynamic content distribution is basically cut off…

7 Likes

I think roblox should really consider making their own type of service that can provide developers with dynamic advertisements that are approved by roblox so that an entire income stream isn’t completely cut off from their options.

I would imagine that this is likely one of the reasons behind this change

1 Like