Roblox Community Rules Update

I’d consider this a warning.

5 Likes

I’m happy that this is finally being looked at. It honestly should’ve years ago with how many people get into terrible deals with 3rd party advertising groups that know nothing about Roblox and push users and their experiences in harms way.

It is a shame that a reputable company like BloxBiz is being taken out of business like that, however I feel like the safety of children is more important than people advertising potentially harmful content and websites and are being weeded out.

7 Likes

We as developers should have the right and responsibility to audit and view the source code of the things we put in our games.

I can guarantee you that most top developers are not willing to potentially jeopardize their game’s security and risk having moderative action done on their account because of something they could not have known existed in something closed source. While that may be the worst case scenario (and I am not assuming BloxBiz is an elaborate scheme to backdoor every game in existence obviously), there have been people who got banned due to backdoors in their game being used by malicious actors in the past.

7 Likes

Many of my games monetization strategies were based on user generated ads, tomorrow I’ll be sprawling to get rid of these since Roblox forgot about a little thing known as a ‘grace period’.

3 Likes

I honestly find it kind of upsetting that several developers here prefer for user safety/privacy to be inhibited for the sake of making a few bucks and even want to start cancelling Roblox over an improvement in user privacy/safety and mentioning other unrelated things.

10 Likes

My problem with this is not the fact that they are banning closed-source advertising systems but the fact that they are even banning open-source ones that we can view the code of and see that it is not collecting data.

Where is the source code of this service auditable? While I have only heard of the service today, I have looked on that thread and saw absolutely no documentation, API, or source that is auditable.

1 Like

You have to join their service and submit your game in order to see the source code, then you add that source code yourself.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure there are some cases that they third party sites bypass their way into making ads inside the Roblox’ platform, and without the new rules to be set to impose and if they imposed your own way, for your own benefits instead of user privacy, I believe third party ads would be more worst now.

I believe you should stop thinking about your own benefit and for the benefit of the platform for once.
Not to mention you prefer money over user privacy, I suggest you should seriously think where you are going through with this.

1 Like

I do believe that this should be the case however the shouldn’t ban us from using advertising modules that we know don’t collect info.

1 Like

May I ask why the source code of that is not auditable or visible in the first place from the get-go? It’s a very bad look from the perspective of someone like me, who naturally wants to know what code goes into his projects.

3 Likes

Your allowed to leave/join whenever you please, plus your the one who puts the code into your project. As for why its not available right away, im not sure. Probably for security reasons.

2 Likes

I was saying that devs could end up getting banned just because Roblox decided to instantly change their policy on these.

Also I never used a module that collected users info, I used a module I created that picks and ad out of a list of community made ads at complete random.

1 Like

You did not answer the original question of why the source code is not visible in the first place.

1 Like

We do allow all our developer partners to audit and view the source code for the Bloxbiz SDK.

7 Likes

You could DDos their server and that’s probably the reason why.

2 Likes

While making it an easy way for third parties to make advertisements there? This is literally making third parties make advertisements there, as it is easy to bypass. Allowing everyone to use the advertisements, without proper stricter rules jeopardize the platform, as again…

I believe the rule is just imposed now, not before, and if they continue to do this while the rule is imposed now, I believe it was the right thing they were banned. Remember, these rules were imposed there for the safety of the platform, and not to mention keep unfair competitive actors out of the platform.

1 Like

In response to the edit:
Why possibly for security reasons? What possibly needs to be hidden from the public? Security by obscurity is not ideal in the first place.

I’m not sure, I don’t work on Bloxbiz so I wouldn’t know. I’d ask @luckydroz as he is the CEO of the company for questions like that.

1 Like

If this was the reason for the update then here is a better solution that would make everyone happy (‘make moderation better!’)