Roblox Game Design Document 2023 Edition

:wave: Hello, I have originally posted a tweet about this design document already! Feel free to check it out here

Ever wanted a game design document for Roblox? If you remembered Diesoft’s game design document, I have designed a modernized 2023 version of the design document. In case you don’t know what a game design document (GDD), it is a comprehensive document that outlines the design of a video game. It typically includes information on the game’s story, characters, mechanics, art style, and other details. The purpose of a GDD is to provide a clear and detailed plan for the game’s development, and it is typically used by game developers to communicate their vision for the game to the rest of the team.

A GDD can benefit people in several ways. For game developers, it serves as a blueprint for the game’s development, providing a clear roadmap for the team to follow. It also helps to ensure that everyone on the team is on the same page regarding the game’s design, and it can be used to communicate with stakeholders and investors.

For players, a GDD can provide a glimpse into the game’s development process, and give an idea of what to expect from the finished product.

Overall, a GDD is a useful tool that can help to ensure that a game is developed in a clear, organized, and efficient manner, and it can also be used to communicate with others about the game’s design and development. Please note that not everything is provided inside the document, but the key basic structure is in the document as a head start. Feel free to add more as you make yourself a copy.

You can grab a free copy of the document here (press File → Make a Copy):

Major credit to the following (even though they’re already listed at the end of the document):
@DieSoft – Made the first Roblox Game Design Document
@CheekySquid – Made the 2022 version of the Game Design Document

25 Likes

I love the design of the document. It’s really simple and easy to work with. It’s probably one of the most important things when working with a team or a studio. Thanks for sharing this with us!

1 Like

thank you so much for this template, this helps me stop wasting time for side projects

1 Like