Roblox hangs when Studio and Client are both opened

PC:

If I open Roblox Studio only, I can use it fine.
If I open Roblox Player only, I can play fine.
The issue arises when both are opened; suppose I’m scripting and I want to test in a live game, I’ll open Roblox Player and it plays perfectly fine. I saw a bug and now want to switch back to studio (Alt+Tab) to fix it, studio hangs. I cannot do anything to solve it except for closing Roblox Player. The same applies vice-versa: I’m playing on Roblox Player, I want to open Studio to write something, Roblox Player hangs while studio works fine.

At first I thought it was the new Account Session Protection, disabling it did not solve my issue.

Log/dump files were attached to the internal ticket by a Roblox Staff (@Focia19), due to the sensitive information they may contain, will not be shared publicly!

8 Likes

I too am also having this issue. I already pointed it out (Not in the form of a bug report) but nobody cared.

3 Likes

I have this exact same issue, if I have roblox player and studio open at the same time, the one that I opened last will be unusably slow. Fine again once I close the first one I opened.

3 Likes

Hi sorry for the trouble here – this appears to be resource contention and isn’t something caused by blocking behavior between Studio and the Roblox Client. A suggestion would be to either upgrade hardware (I don’t see this on an M1 macbook), use a separate device or work around it by sequencing your sessions between Studio and Client. Thanks again!

4 Likes

How can this be resource retention? There are some errors in the logs from what I saw.
An M1 mcbook is vastly inferior to my setup.
It was working perfectly fine before, maybe I should try and find out an old version of studio which works fine.
Of all the reasons you could find, “resource retention” is a joke.

3 Likes

Resource contention” - both applications are trying to use the same resource, like RAM, CPU, GPU or storage. It’s very likely the Roblox Player application is taking priority over Studio for one of these (or vice versa), causing it to hang as it goes into the background and is deprioritized.

I think this is actually quite common for lower-powered systems as applications are unloaded from RAM more often, or in highly intense tasks for higher-end systems, but usually the application that hung stabilizes over the course of a few minutes.

It could also be a case of “deadlock”, where the first application started is intentionally waiting for the other one to release a specific resource that it needs to run, in order to prevent data corruption.

I dunno but, maybe the people who are supposed to figure out what causes bug and have access to all the source code for the thing that’s breaking aren’t the ones trying to find excuses for things they can’t explain?

Good luck jerry-rigging an always-online application that auto-updates to not auto-update. It honestly sounds like you’re trying to make a threat, but I don’t know who’s going to feel threatened by it.

EDIT: Maybe “threat” was the wrong word, but your tone was rather aggressive. I was simply pointing that out, but I apologize if I didn’t make myself clear.

2 Likes

Well, first off, apologies for the typo.
I doubt it’s either of those as it was working fine previously as mentioned above.
I tried it with nothing running in the background, and it still did the same. So, it’s most likely a roblox issue, they are limiting something, in my opinion.

You’re taking it too personal when you don’t even associate with roblox.
As far as I know, there were some means to downgrade before.

How does that sound like a threat to you??
You must be out of your depth, just don’t bother responding if you don’t have a solution.
That was me genuinely trying to find a working version as it was working perfectly fine before, although unbeknownst to me when it stopped behaving properly as I barely use roblox player.

3 Likes

After the last update, I seem to be able to open both studio and roblox player at the same time, although giving it some time to really believe it’s been fixed.

3 Likes

It was too good to be true, unless Roblox secretly updated while I was asleep, this has become worse.
Now it crashes player if I force close the hanging studio.
But if player was opened beforehand, studio’s splash screen will not pop up, nor will it load. Although it’s still present under task manager.
I tried launching both as fast as I could at the same time, windows threw a blue screen on me “VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR”.
This led me to believe it’s a gpu error causing this to happen… ?

I have an RTX 3060Ti 8 GB.
The GPU usage is way too low for it to be “highly intense tasks for higher-end systems” or “lower-powered systems”. Temperatures are sub 50C.
I ran as admin:

sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

Nothing comes up as corrupted.
I am going to try DDU and reinstall the latest drivers and also upload a crash dump from just now.

Edit: After a full display driver uninstall, it seems to open studio if I leave roblox player open for a period of time. (I cannot record this exactly)

After the previous attempt of DDU, I tried recording the time it took to open studio after opening roblox player.
A ridiculous 30 minutes!?
By this I mean, open Roblox Player then open Roblox Studio after 30 minutes has passed since player was opened. Opening it before those 30 mins will not launch studio even though it will still be present in the task manager.

I am not waiting 30 mins after opening player to open studio!
This has got to be a software issue.
Please try to find a fix… :pray:t2:

This also affects other processes that emulate stuff, like android emulators.
I cannot open them unless 30 minutes has gone by since roblox player was opened.

Maybe you should try reinstalling Roblox player and Studio and/or your Windows installation.

I already uninstalled player and studio with revo uninstaller; which completely removes its registries and leftover folders.

Why would windows be at blame here?
This is clearly roblox player doing something here… ?

Reinstalling Windows fixes a lot of issues that you don’t realize. In some cases uninstalling an app even with programs like revo uninstaller which as you said completely removes it’s registries and leftover folders don’t work. I am not saying it’s a Windows issue (it could be though) but you should try reinstalling Windows as a last resort. If that didn’t work and if your hardware isn’t faulty then it’s definitely a Roblox issue.

I personally don’t have any issues with a hardware that’s a lot inferior to yours. I mean yeah I am experiencing performance issues, hangs and freezes but they’re temporary and I can still use both and it’s expected on my PC hardware.

I can’t reproduce:

The video displays me having Studio open a game, then loading into that game with the Player, and Alt+Tab'ing back and forth, even putting them into fullscreen with F11. No hangs occur, the applications continue responding and rendering, and continue functioning normally. Some editing has been done to reduce the amount of time you’d be stuck staring at a loading screen, cropping to remove unnecessary information/excess blank space, and compression to reduce the filesize from 20MB to 2MB.

System information:

• 8 gigabytes of RAM
  • Intel i7 11th Generation - 2.80GHz (and 1.69 GHz, somehow?), 4 cores, 8 threads
  • NVIDIA GeForce MX330
  • A laptop definitely not intended for playing video games
2 Likes

Great news!
I managed to find the cause… after a lot of hassle.

Summary

I booted into safe mode, it loaded both, but safe mode only displays via GPU, anything else uses CPU to render, so it wouldn’t work or really lagging.
As I singled out it was the gpu, I started searching for anything to do with gpu settings on boot.
I have Wallpaper Engine, MSI Afterburner, and Fan Control apps that have to do with gpu.
Closing each of them, then I open Roblox studio, on Afterburner’s turn it opened…
Then I remembered I had RTSS enabled, disabling it allowed studio to launch fine, re-enabling it blocked studio.

It is RTSS - RivaTuner Statistics Server
But why is it doing that, I have no clue… time to experiment.

1 Like

Thank goodness there’s a fix for this!
I require RTSS whenever I play, so it’s quite important to me…

1. Enter RTSS setup

2. Copy these settings and press OK

3. Press minimise, not close on the RTSS window.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.