Roblox Import 3D bug

Hi, I have made this couch model for use in my game with cloth simulation pillows and a blanket on the side. I have sculpted the pillows and the cushions. I applied various textures to different parts of the couch and used Normals for creating seams on the cushions. I recently had an issue where I wanted to UV unwrap the couch for baking, but it caused the applied textures to become larger and distort. I do not know if this affected the upload process or not, but these errors occurred when I attempted to import my model.

Before Unwrapping:

After Unwrapping:

I do not know whether the issues encountered below are due to my faults in Blender, or from Roblox Studio bugging. I have seen a warning on the polygon count in the import tab, but people have claimed the importer can upload over 1 million+ triangles, and my model is nowhere near that.

I have attempted to upload the model to Roblox Studio after baking using the 3D importer, but various issues have ocurred. The blanket texture is all over the couch, replacing all the other textures and stretching. There are also deformities in the blanket mesh.

Texture Stretching:

Blanket Mesh Deformities:

Error encountered when attempting to upload the model:

2023-08-04 (2)

15 Likes

I don’t think UV unwrapping should cause issues like that. So, I could be missing something, but I don’t think it’s a Blender issue. I’m not knowledgeable on the baking side of things.

@tasavix could you look into this?

2 Likes

Hi, now that I think about it, I agree that this is probably a Studio bug. I used Import 3D because this couch was high poly and people claimed it could upload over a million triangles, so I don’t know why it issued a warning about the poly count. I also don’t know what could’ve caused the blanket texture to spread all over the couch, as I added seams to each object and the bake looked perfectly fine in Blender. Should I just wait until this is fixed or is there any other way I could upload high geometry models to Roblox? Either way, thank you for bringing more awareness to my issue!

5 Likes

It’s a bit technical, but the limit is 20k triangles. That could be issue number 1, make sure it’s below that 20k tri limit. I believe that is per-mesh.

If you’re ok with it, you could put the FBX, blend, or whatever file here. I, or maybe someone else, could try getting it to import. But first, if the mesh is over the 20k tri limit, make it under that. (you can try splitting the mesh into multiple and importing them into Roblox.)

2 Likes

I think the issue was I used an .obj file instead of a .fbx file. I will try to redo the baking process and upload the model as an .fbx file tomorrow. I will update once I do it and let you know how it goes.

3 Likes

@Reditect Alright, so the blanket texture isn’t spread all over the couch, but there is still issue with the blanket mesh and possibly on the cushions (This could be a texturing issue). There also isn’t any texture on the couch. Also, the same error occurred when I tried to upload it. 3D import is also complaining about the file dimensions. Import 3D Texture Issue - Album on Imgur

2 Likes

Could you private message me a .blend file of the couch from blender? I could provide a video with how if you’d like.

I’m having some-what of a hard time understanding. I looked at the image, and it could be many things. I believe a message should pop up when you hover over the yellow warning icon :warning:. It could simply be a change of units, but might me something with normals or something.

1 Like

Sure thing. I will message you the .Blend file.

3 Likes

Hello, I’m having the same issue as you.

__
It’s a pretty simple model → doesn’t go over the limit of tri, doesn’t have a texture, etc. It’s also a fbx file. Have you found a solution or is it a studio problem?

I haven’t found a solution yet, sorry. I’m pretty sure this is a studio issue.

1 Like

I found a fix that worked for me. What you have to do is import the not working blender file into a new general file (in blender) and then export it again.

3 Likes

So basically get the file and make a copy of it sorta? I create a file for the model and texture, I don’t just upload the entire .blend file, so I don’t know if that would work

Yeah, make a copy but I figured out that it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t. It’s a 50/50. I kept doing that copying until it let me upload. Also you can just export the same file over and over again until it works. I tried that too. As for the texture, I’m not sure how to help.

1 Like

Hey yall! Sorry for the late reply.
To address OP @KCavileer 's issue:

• As @Reditect mentioned, the per mesh limit is 20k. I believe you’re seeing those deformities because that’s a single mesh that exceeds that limit, and is being simplified. You can import as many separate meshes though in a file (hence why some imports total more than 20k tris)
  • The texture issue is indeed due to the filetype being OBJ. This format is extremely simple and Blender collapses the data into a single “node”, and since Studio currently can’t apply more than 1 texture per mesh, that means only 1 texture can be applied on this “node”. For best results, stick with exporting/importing FBX (and in the future, glTF!)
  • In response to @brippydrippy too, the upload errors are known and are a backend issue. Our teams are currently looking into it. We also are working on surfacing better error messages! For now, just keep trying to upload (it’s a flaky issue that can be circumvented by retries), or if the issue persists, file a bug report and attach the file so we can look into it on our end.
2 Likes

@KCavileer feel free to DM me the couch as well and report the persisting issues.

• The file dimensions means that the couch translated into Roblox Studs has parts that exceed max dimensions of a part (2048 studs IIRC). You can fix this either by splitting those parts or changing the scale option to something smaller (CM, Inch, etc.) to scale down the entire model.
  • The texture issues could be because those textures aren’t being exported as part of the FBX. I’d try reimporting the FBX into Blender to see if it has the textures inside. If not, you have to set up Blender FBX export to package your textures.
2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I’ve added you to the message thread that me and @KCavileer were having about trying to fix the issue. We came to a similar conclusion of splitting the mesh into multiple uploads, but yeah, the message thread might be useful.

1 Like

Hi, it appears that the issues with the mesh deforming was due to Roblox simplifying the model due to mesh limitations. I have also changed the scale option to mm and that has worked in making the model more coherent. Thank you!