ROBLOX is killing my CPU?

I can confirm my players for my game are seeing this same issue too.
Since I don’t get the same issue happening on my end, I can’t make a detailed report on it.

I’m not getting this blob.png

I actually have a similar problem with you, for my work laptop. However it’s something to do with my NVIDIA card

Specs:
Processor: Intel® Core ™ i5-4210 CPU @1.70GHz 2.40GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Dedicated Card: NVIDIA GeForce 840m (a netbook card from the 800 series)

Here’s what I’ve done to try and fix it:

Disabling my integrated graphics (Intel HD Family). When checking on studio settings to see if it works, studio just uses the default built in windows basic graphics.

Updating my drivers, and downgrading my drivers, did nothing.

Running in compatibility mode did not work.

Using different rendering settings made no difference (just messing with them, swapping between OpenGL and Direct). Resetting didn’t fix it either

NVIDIA control panel says it should be using the card, and I’ve tried going on to every stored version of the launchers and manually putting them to use NVIDIA. Still using Intel card - I know this because I can average 60 fps on 10 graphics with it, and now I can only average 60 fps on 1 graphics. Also, you can check the GPU activity, and it doesn’t show it running for ROBLOX. Studio still says I’m using the Intel card.

Tried making my laptop use the NVIDIA card for everything that needed it. Didn’t work, just decreased battery life because of my other applications.

Any ideas? This has only happened for the ROBLOX launchers thus far, other games work fine with the card :frowning:

I don’t know if this is an indication of the problem - I don’t understand this graph at all. :-/

I currently (on Win10) have a 100% CPU utilization according to this graph, and Processes tab says that ROBLOX is at 50% utilization. The Details tab however says that ROBLOX is running at ~5% CPU utilization - which agrees with our internal metrics.

And if ROBLOX is not running I still get 100%, with Chrome accounting for most of that - which is just incorrect. Process Explorer by comparison shows numbers that actually make sense.

So that percentage seems to be relative to some unknown value.

This could just be my PC but this does not exactly inspire trust in the graphs you guys are posting.

1 Like

My friend also has a higher CPU usage than normal, usually he can play phantom forces no problem, but for some reason its laggy and has a high cpu usage.

He has a NVidia 980 GTX

2 Likes

For people who do experience lag & high CPU usage, mind posting the profiler dumps and screenshots of Windows Task Manager with “logical cores” information enabled?

To get profiler dumps:

• Press Ctrl+F6 in-game
  • In the menu, click Dump and pick 32 frames
  • Look in your C:\Users\username\ folder - there should be a microprofile-…html file there.
  • Upload it here or PM me.

To enable logical core view:

• Open Task Manager
  • Open Performance tab
  • Right click CPU graph
  • Pick Change graph to -> Logical processors
1 Like

Here is my friends profiler and logical core view

I am waiting on his screenshot of his task manager

Melting PCs since 2006…

On a serious note, I never experience any of that on my computer but mine is biased cause its pretty tuned out, crossfired 2x R9 290’s on an i7. On my iPad however Plaza runs fine of course at lower graphics settings but still good FPS…

1 Like

Relevant:

I’ll look into getting profiler dumps / screenshots when I get home.

It appears to be computer/settings specific. 14%-17% utilization in Westover Islands for me.

This is interesting. We enabled HTTPS for some portion of data transfers on Monday. This would basically add some CPU impact for asset loading…

I’m also getting reports from some people that the game freezes up for them or very low FPS as they join the game. It seems to become better when they’ve been in the game for a bit.

I have had this type of issue since day one of CSG streaming. It seems like loading takes a lot of CPU utilization away from the game (with a 60 FPS game going down to 15 FPS not being rare).

But the people who reported it are regular players and they didn’t have any problems before.

Another thing:

I’ve actually been getting the CPU problem now, but it’s strange:

To add on to the problem I previously had, I figured out why ROBLOX wasn’t using my GPU:
When launching through Firefox it would just use the integrated graphics. It would completely ignore the GPU being there. However launching through chrome seemed to fix it. This might be a completely unrelated bug (and it could just be Firefox) however;

Whenever I launch through chrome, I get the CPU killing problem. It only happens for the first 5 or 10 seconds after I launch the game. So that probably verifies it’s GPU related, (and if not the case, browser related).

Could we get a fix for the browser-gpu issue as well (or if it’s not the fault of ROBLOX, get instructions on a fix for Firefox)? Launching through Firefox means that I can’t get the GPU working to play games and develop.

We have disabled the feature that may have caused this problem (3 minutes ago).

Can somebody verify whether the issue still exists or if it has been fixed?

I don’t know what exactly the issue is here - we only give the graphics driver a hint as to which GPU to use. I don’t know what specific hooks it has into the system - maybe when FF launches the game it does not take that hint, since FF and Chrome use different launch flows.

However, we are migrating to the same flow we use for Chrome in FireFox as well - so if this is the case this should be resolved in the coming month or so.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s working better now, I’m not seeing anything out of the normal

Please file a new bug report for new issues