Roblox Model Renderer | Render any model entirely in your browser (free & open-source)

Roblox Model Renderer

Get StartedGitHub

Overview

Roblox Model Renderer was written because one of our games has a large number of items that each require an icon. Typically, game studios render icons using Blender, which takes a long time and the person using Blender needs to be proficient in 3D software.

To streamline this process, Roblox Model Renderer was created. It’s designed to be an easy-to-use alternative to Blender, allowing users to create icons without downloading any software. It runs entirely in the browser. (No assets get uploaded to any server, it’s still local)

Roblox Model Renderer is built using Next.js, Tailwind CSS, and React Three Fiber.

Demo

Why should I use this?

• Roblox Model Renderer does not need to be downloaded, just visit https://roblox-model-renderer.vercel.app
  • it’s easier to use than Blender, or similar 3D software
  • geared specifically towards icon creation
  • there’s no complicated setup involved. Just import → position → render

Examples

Feedback

Please let me know what you think. All constructive feedback is valuable to me. If you happend to find any bugs, I suggest you to open an issue on GitHub (Issues · Coyenn/roblox-model-renderer · GitHub)

34 Likes

I’m confused, isn’t this a model viewer that you could do in something like Blender?

Is the intent meant to make shots like Roblox would do them?

2 Likes

The title’s rather misleading, it says “Model Renderer” except it can only use mesh files.
(Actual model files would be .rbxm and .rbxmx)

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing, this is super cool! I appreciate you open sourcing as well.

1 Like

In the industry these are called models. Roblox is the odd one out. Let’s not nitpick lol?

4 Likes

Roblox Model Renderer is intended to be easier and more accessible than Blender. Please read Roblox Model Renderer | Render any model entirely in your browser (free & open-source) on why you should use it.

Traditionally, a model is not a rbxm or rbxmx file. The title is referring to “model” as in “industry standard model format”.

1 Like

I actually have to concur, it’s a bit confusing. “Roblox Model Renderer” sounds pretty straightforward, you’d expect it to take Roblox models in the Roblox model format – as in, a “Roblox Model” renderer. This is the Roblox Dev forum, after all.

It’d be less confusing if it was “3D Model Renderer” or “Roblox Mesh Renderer”.

like with any topic, people can also read the content for once. it’s 100% free to read and it won’t hurt animals.

go after those people who use clickbait and hurt eyes with all their topics, not someone who used a term that has a chance to cause a slight bit of confusion

Anyway, neat resource! I wanted to render images for my tools but my blender experience is killing me – this seems like the perfect cure. Also thanks for making it OSS!

2 Likes

I explained why it was named that way in a previous comment and I won’t rename it just because the name could be taken either way.
Sadly, this whole topic is now spammed by comments from people who can’t even be bothered to read the post or get over the fact that it’s not named the way they want it.

1 Like

This is such a weird hill to die on. Even on Roblox, I rarely see anyone call them meshes. Everyone creating models calls themselves “modeler”, not “mesher”, even on Roblox.
Apart from you being objectively wrong, I still can’t comprehend why you, and anyone else commenting on this, think their lack of knowledge is somehow on OP to consider.
The dev forum really is the only place where you can not only create a tool for the community but also open-source it and still get flamed in the replies for absolutely no reason.

3 Likes

obj and mtl formats aren’t working for me

You need to select both at the same time. .obj for the mesh data and .mtl for the materials. If that doesn’t work, please open an issue on GitHub with steps to reproduce it.

1 Like

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

I like the easiness of it.

Also the outline feature.

Maybe add the color that you have picked in the main UI, (after you pick a color) so you can see what color is currently selected.

Also perhaps, a reset image / model position, ie, like back to how it it was loaded. Meaning if you by mistake, move it around, it can be hard to get it exactly ‘flat’ again, since there are no references to the angle degrees / position.

Another option too, might be outline options, like top, bottom, left , right…

maybe too, an option to load a background custom image…? and or layering of multiple images?..

1 Like

Thanks for the feeback! These ideas are great. I’ll put them on my todo list.

Thank you for this tool!

I tried testing for future use.

I can’t get it to work with models that I export from Roblox

When I upload both the Obj and the Mtl to the site, the model load fine, but there is no texture.

Here below some pictures of the models in game and the result of using the website :

Test 1:

Test 2:

If this problem can be fixed, I will sure use it for my next project!

Thank you again

Still working? Nothings happening when I try to import