Roblox needs to rethink UGC's future "features"

Could you provide the link to this conference call and any others? I’d like to see them for myself.

4 Likes

Lets say your a UGC creator will are access get revoked. because of new update. because I got accepted and i dont have verified ID yet.

4 Likes

They mentioned it in my reply, it can also be found throughout Roblox’s investor relations website.

I didn’t really truly think too much about the investor reports directly when I mentioned transparency earlier, but it is definitely clear they’re a lot more transparent with the investors than they are with the developers. The differing details provided between the two of us are highly concerning.

However, I did see this already clearly when Roblox would do interviews with the press. For example, let’s take some of the newer autogeneration AI features, they’ve said openly in interviews they’re intent is for AI to replace the developers in the long term. However, when they decided to add an AI data collection opt-in box to the creator hub after RDC announcements (which now seems to have been removed, oddly?), their language was extremely different.

I’m still writing up parts of the feature request I mentioned, which has gone into quite a bit more detail than I originally was planning to.

6 Likes

Hello, here is the link to the Quarterly Results page of the Investor Relations section:

Quarterly Results

About halfway down the page you will see a Financial Summary Table that is a quick reference to the different parts of each quarterly report.

The earnings call for example that references the shift away from traditional avatars and 2D assets to platform-wide use of rthro/skinned mesh avatars and 3D/layered clothing is in the Q2 2022 earnings call transcript .

A word of gentle warning: be prepared to be jaded. It’s why I joke about ‘Roblox: Powering Monetization’ but it isn’t really a joke. Behind the scenes, it is clear that innovation is more about driving monetization than it is about driving imagination. Pretty dystopian stuff.

Yeah, companies have to make money - but for me, the worst part isn’t that so much as it is the double standard of transparency between investor audience and dev audience.

11 Likes

I completely agree with your opinions Blizzie. Even at this point, UGC is so flooded that I barely get sales for new items I published lately.

7 Likes

im not a ugc maker myself but if they do this not many ugc creators will be able to make ugcs anymore it will kill the platform for many too so i agree they need to rethink it

7 Likes

minty i think you stay in the program. from what i know is that there are people who are in the program and posted ugc items and got in trouble but theres also people who posted a item it was removed and they somehow are allowed to stay in the program and still have the privlage to continue to upload. so for my thoughts is if your not doing anything wrong you should be still in the program no matter what.

4 Likes

I’m super out of the loop regarding UGC and whatnot (I’m still not even used to r15 being a thing that exists, nevermind anything newer, lol…) but come on Roblox, it’s a digital marketplace, put the effort of this feature into more moderation to prevent garbage uploads or whatever, making everything limited is just a dumb idea. (For reference, I still think the original limiteds/limited uniques from a decade ago were a bad idea as well.)

7 Likes

Well, it looks like Roblox saw this thread and decided to revamp all the requirements Public UGC will have in the future.

Hopefully we’ll see a major improvement regarding this soon.

6 Likes

This thread is a lot more than just public UGC requirements. I have a strong feeling Roblox won’t back down on the salient points of this thread as part of their movement to “avoid a race to the bottom like the existing UGC catalog” (shirts, pants, etc), and that’s a somewhat terrifying thought. The current amazing virtual market should not be tainted with some false grandeur of replicating the ugliness of a real world market. Removing choice, rather than building onto existing choice, doesn’t sit well with me at all.

3 Likes

I did message a staff member the thread to make 100% sure its been seen and its been forwarded! Hopefully it does go well

1 Like

UGC is already ruined; there is no name filter. There’s content that’s been uploaded right now, and I can provide screenshots where people are naming their UGC in ways that go against the Terms of Service (TOS).

3 Likes

They should stop people make UGC and make permission again only for original creators not people who use AI or just take photo from google.

3 Likes

i applied back in april and still have not recieved any info if i go accepted or not but from what i know is that for us that has been waiting for over a year now why did they shut us behind closed doors the ones who acutally took the time and applied and put effort in.

1 Like

At this point UGCs future seems pretty hopeless imo

3 Likes

I agree, I don’t know how they are even allowed to post such items which have almost 0 effort in the making phase of them.
I am starting to think that you only have to know how to add texture to a brick and make a few bricks stick to eachother in blender is just enough to make you a UGC creator at these times.

What is the source of the image in OP? I haven’t been able to find any good pages on UGC giving me official information, my google searching is not up to snuff

I believe this was a slide during RDC.

The best places for info about UGC is information from the Roblox Blog, Devforum Announcements, the Creator roadmap, and of course info we get from RDC.