Roblox objects interacting with a real environment

I was inspired by CGMatter’s “objects… now in 360!” tutorial and made my own Roblox implementation that makes use of the same concept. This is a Roblox skybox that parts can cast shadows on and interact with.

Here’s a screenshot of the effect:

24 Likes

Bro… how did you do this. :sunglasses:

@jmkd3v is it possible to have the trees, cars, and other objects intractable as well?

2 Likes

So you implemented the Blender Object System 360 into roblox (probably using pictures IM GUESSING).

Question 1: Does this take many resources and faces/parts?

Question 2: How did you do this, could you make a Community Tutorial on it?

Question 3: How long did it take and what are the risks?

@jmkd3v

2 Likes

No! It’s actually quite performant.

I’m not planning on making a tutorial for it at the moment, given it’s not that useful in an actual game.

It didn’t take too long. I don’t know what you mean by “risks” - it’s not something you can just implement into the game given the nature of it.

What I mean by risks is a possible studio crash, lag when importing, maybe lag when trying to execute it or something, if you see what I mean.

Haven’t had any crashes/lag so far, no.

Good, well nice to see that people are experimenting, good luck on all your experiments!

1 Like

Looks good. I think a tutorial would get quite a few views, maybe making it worthwhile…

1 Like

How is this possible… how did you do this?

1 Like

Wow. That kind of looks like minecraft in real life but far more realistic and it just looks awesome!

1 Like

You can see in the reflected sphere it’s a skybox, most likely with some invisible parts to walk on.

It looks like the skybox is the physical space though. :eyes:

2 Likes

Actually, there aren’t any invisible parts! As you can see, parts are casting shadows on the ground plane, which is my own implementation of a “shadow-catcher”, as you might see in Blender.

1 Like

Then how was this made…? I don’t know what other way to achieve this sort of effect.

1 Like

If I take a normal part and put an invisible plate under it, it won’t cast a shadow.

I’ve implemented my own shadow-catcher type object - in real 3d software, this would be an invisible object that shadows could be cast on. I’ll be explaining my implementation in more detail in the near future.

2 Likes