Roblox Pathfinding system

Since I wanna make a “custom” pathfinding system for a character to walk in a grid I tried writing code for a A* pathfinding algorithm , but got stuck since its been hard finding Roblox refrences and especially code. How would I get the order of the nodes where the character has to go?
Also I am not sure how to gettheneighbors since I looked up tutorials on A* and there was no refrence to the nodes only the start and end node so how would this know about the other nodes?

local function getNeighbors(pos)

end

local function heuristic(a, b)
		return math.abs(a.X - b.X) + math.abs(a.Y - b.Y) + math.abs(a.Z - b.Z)
	end

local function distance(a, b)
		return (a - b).magnitude
	end

local function findPath(startPos, endPos)
		local startNode = {
			position = startPos,
			g = 0,
			h = heuristic(startPos, endPos),
			f = 0,
			parent = nil
		}
		local endNode = {
			position = endPos,
			g = 0,
			h = 0,
			f = 0,
			parent = nil
		}
		local openSet = {startNode}
		local closedSet = {}

while #openSet > 0 do
			local currentNode = openSet[1]
			for i = 2, #openSet do
				if openSet[i].f < currentNode.f then
					currentNode = openSet[i]
				end
			end

if currentNode == endNode then
				local path = {endNode}
				local parent = currentNode.parent
				while parent do
					table.insert(path, 1, parent)
					parent = parent.parent
				end
				return path
			end

table.remove(openSet, table.find(openSet, currentNode))
			table.insert(closedSet, currentNode)

for _, neighbor in ipairs(getNeighbors(currentNode.position)) do
				if not table.find(closedSet, neighbor) then
					local tentative_g = currentNode.g + distance(currentNode.position, neighbor)
					if not table.find(openSet, neighbor) or tentative_g < neighbor.g then
						neighbor.parent = currentNode
						neighbor.g = tentative_g
						neighbor.h = heuristic(neighbor.position, endPos)
						neighbor.f = neighbor.g + neighbor.h
						if not table.find(openSet, neighbor) then
							table.insert(openSet, neighbor)
						end
					end
				end
			end
		end

return nil
	end
1 Like

I had planned another scipt since this one might not be the one for this, but I am not sure how to go thru the nearby parts / neighbors , also is there no other way to make a grid pathfinding system since I can’t find too many posts about any of this. I have not even found enough lua refrence to methods like a* except for Pathfinding Algorithm Simulation

1 Like

A* assumes a grid is already created, and you can do this in a number of ways. If your grid is labeled sufficiently, or is based on a coordinate system, you can infer the neighbors based on their coordinates. If your grid isn’t uniform, you’ll need to manually form the connections. In one of my games, I wrote a plugin to help draw out the pathfinding manually.

But to go back on my first suggestion, if you have a grid of parts like so:

[1,1] [2,1]
[2,1] [2,2]

You can get [1,1]'s neighbors by doing something like this:

local neighbors = {}
local node = workspace:FindFirstChild("1,1") -- assuming our name matches our coordinates
for i,v in {Vector2.new(1,0),Vector2.new(0,1),Vector2.new(-1,0),Vector2.new(0,-1)} do
    local coordinateX = node:GetAttribute("X") -- we could also parse the name but this is for demo purposes
    local coordinateY = node:GetAttribute("Y")
    local neighborX = coordinateX + v.X
    local neighborY = coordinateY + v.Y
    local neighbor = workspace:FindFirstChild(neighborX .. "," .. neighborY)
    if neighbor then
        table.insert(neighbors, neighbor)
    end
end
--next, return the neighbors

If you have obstacles or want to have your node graph represented more clearly (in code), you should look into Laplacian Matrices to represent your nodes, which can be represented as 2D tables in Lua

1 Like

So, how are the nodes supposed to be in the workspace since I am getting “attempt to add nil and number” at line 8 neighborX.

In my short little script, the nodes would be in workspace directly. In my example, I assume the parts are named “X,Y” where x and y are their coordinates, but they also have two attributes, one called X and one called Y which are just number attributes corresponding to their position. You could possibly come up with a better system that’s less redundant.