Roblox Player Breaks Copy & Paste

Reproduction Steps
I am unable to reliably reproduce this issue; however, it only seems to occur after using copy and paste shortcuts within Roblox player.

System Information
This is the device information of the last person this occurred on. I have not yet experienced this issue on my new device; however, I have experienced it on previous devices. Multiple users have experienced this issue in the past, but I have never heard of it occurring on mobile.
Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Expected Behavior
Copy and paste functionalities should remain functional while Roblox player is running.

Actual Behavior
Upon using copy and paste shortcuts within player, copy and paste will occasionally break on the entire device. Attempting to copy/paste on any other application will have a nonfunctional result.

Workaround
In order to resolve the issue, Roblox player must be closed.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Sometimes
Date First Experienced: Extensive number of years
Date Last Experienced: 2023-03-02 00:03:00 (-05:00)

9 Likes

Copying something from the client also resolves the issue. (ex. text chat)

1 Like

This has been happening for years. This is how I reproduce the issue:

1. Open a roblox game.
  2. Put an image on the clipboard.
  3. Paste in roblox.

Now, copy and paste is broken everywhere on the computer until I copy and paste text from and inside roblox. Unsure if this also applies to roblox studio.

2 Likes

To add to this, I have experienced the issue just by copying and pasting text.

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

Could you please provide a video or some logs? We are having a hard time reproducing this.

Since this happens so infrequently and inconsistently, I’m unfortunately unable to provide video or logs at this time. When this next occurs, what specific logs would you like and how should I or others obtain them? Additionally, would these logs contain any private information that should be sent to you as a private message rather than on this post?

@bluebxrrybot Has some repro steps for an issue that is probably relevant. It seems to happen when there is non-text data on the clipboard and you try to paste into a Roblox textbox. It happens for default textboxes, and, I don’t remember if it happens in Studio, but as an example, it does happen in the chat textbox.

I know how to perfectly replicate this problem every time.

Here is the guide:

1. Copy any image file, or take a screenshot that goes into your clipboard ([Windows Key + V] to enable).
  2. Go to the Roblox chat box and attempt to paste the image into said chat box.
  3. You will now find that your copy/paste has been broken.

At this point, the only options you have to fix this is to type into the chat and then copy that text, enter cmd /c"echo off|clip" in the command prompt, or close Roblox entirely.

2 Likes