Roblox player silently closes with no error message, studio unaffected

The Roblox player, not studio, silently closes whenever I launch it, whether it’s from a browser or the desktop shortcut.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Launch Roblox by joining a game on a web browser or double click the Roblox player shortcut on your desktop or start menu.

Expected Behavior:
I expect the Roblox client to launch normally or in case there was an error, there will be a prompt telling me that Roblox crashed, however there was nothing.

Actual Behavior:
The launcher pops up, as well as the process in Task Manager, but the launcher will close without the client booting up and the Roblox process ends.

System Information:
Note: this is just a spare and extremely outdated PC running Windows 10 Home solely for testing. I vividly remember Roblox successfully launching last week and working perfectly fine. I only use this PC a few times a month so this could have started the day after I last used it (last week).
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4400 @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 4.0 GB DDR3
STORAGE: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100
GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 510
In case people ask, yes it’s 64-bit.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Client
Impact: Severe
Frequency: Constant
Date First Experienced: 2023-07-25

Logs:
Note: these logs are from a clean installation of Windows 10 Home. I forgot to save the logs from before.
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/logs/2440635

Other information, might be completely unrelated to the issue:
The only modifications at the time of the video was running Windows10Debloater, uninstalling Edge, and disabling Windows Security. I also had RCO2 running but I doubt it triggered Byfron.

31 Likes

I have the same issue, and have been experiencing this since June 21st, 2023. The UWP (microsoft app) version doesn’t seem to be affected by this. I also have a very similar device to the one you are using for this test.
My device is a Windows 10 Home
4 GB RAM
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 4405U @ 2.10GHz
64-bit operating system

I really hope roblox staff sees this post

8 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

12 Likes

i’m also suffering from this, but i’ve been dealing with it since june 14th. Roblox even updated on july 12th, but nothing happened. Thankfully the UWP version exists
(yes i’ve made a post to bug-support but nobody’s gotten back to me)

3 Likes

Could you zip and attach content of AppData\Local\Roblox\Versions\version-d9fe490795cb4ad8\s haders folder? Potentially one of the files was damaged during update.

4 Likes

I’m no longer on version-d9fe490795cb4ad8 so here’s version-1232a03d34664c0f:
shaders.zip (3.4 MB)
Not sure why there’s an empty file called “keepme.”
Roblox Studio isn’t affected, but let me know if you need the shader files from there.

3 Likes

Roblox updated again today, and still broken…

2 Likes

shaders.zip (3.4 MB)
This is my shaders file for roblox
Its listed under version-a676cfceba834acd
(I’m unsure why it is a different version)

3 Likes

I’ve also had this exact issue for a couple months now (since 05/08/2023), and a staff member (Bitdancer) unfortunately could not help figure out what was going on from my crash dumps, though I appreciate that they tried. I just did a complete format of my drives and a fresh reinstall of Windows and still got the same issue.

Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz
32 GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

shaders.zip (2.8 MB)

3 Likes

No, shaders are not damaged. If you have crash dumps next to logs, can you share the most recent one too?

2 Likes

Unfortunately the issue either does not create crash logs, or the log files of roblox are missing, as I cannot find crash dump files, even when using the command line.

2 Likes

try looking in the temp folder in localappdata, i found some roblox logs there that are pretty recent after roblox crashed (they didnt have the .dmp extension though)

2 Likes

I believe these are temporary files generated during the startup of roblox.
However, I don’t think they are crash dump files. I don’t think roblox is crashing, as there aren’t any crash dump files, at least not for me.

2 Likes

(i didn’t mean to post this twice)

2 Likes

well if we can’t get help from those, that means that most likely the only solutions are to keep waiting out (roblox already updated twice for me and no change,) get another computer, or to deal with the microsoft UWP version

2 Likes

The only files I can find are files generated during startup, which are labelled as Text documents (.txt).
I also found something strange when examining them
Is this normal behaviour for roblox client?
Please let me know if you would like me to upload these files.

2 Likes

I looked through one of mine, and i have the same thing, plus something else:

4 Likes

This is happening to me with 32gb of ram.
And a 3050 ti.

1 Like

I DM’d you the two crash logs that were created immediately after I did:

1. Fresh format and install of Windows 10
  2. Followed the guidance in this prior staff post for crash dump logging
  3. Attempted to launch a Roblox experience
2 Likes

Using the windows Event Viewer, I was able to confirm that there are in fact error logs. I’m unsure why the crashes didn’t generate any .dmp files, but I will be able to share the error logs.

2 Likes