ROBLOX Server to Google Chrome Notification

Hey guys, I have recently purchased a web server on DigitialOcean and decided I wanted to use it for more than just matchmaking, so I made an extension that creates chrome notifications sent from requests from ROBLOX servers. It’s super easy thanks to PubNub and the server I recently bought.

It’s in a working state but not finished and is being published, but I still have to wait for the 24 hour developer authentication from google, but I’ll bump the topic once I get approved. :slight_smile:

Darn it google!

Anyways it’s very easy to use this system and I’ll explain how right now!
Did I forget to mention IT’S FREE!?

First, you need to go to PubNub.com and create an account and after that you have to find your subscriber and publisher keys and copy them to continue (this is a random account so you can spam it for all I care).

Secondly, you’ll need to input the subscriber and publisher keys into your extension’s popup window which appears when click the extension’s yellow R icon!

After you do that,just have to restart your browse and you’re done the Google Chrome side!

Now onto the ROBLOX Server, it’s super easy all you have to do is require a module and choose when to send the notification!

local Notifications = require(268695754)(PUBLISH_KEY,SUBSCRIBE_KEY)

Notifications:SendMessage(Title, Message, Priority [Optional], Type [Optional], Icon [Optional])

[Optional] means it’ll be automatically be set for you when sent to the server.

Here’s an example of how I used this Notifications system.

local Notifications =require(268695754)(PUBLISH_KEY,SUBSCRIBE_KEY)
game.Players.PlayerAdded:connect(function(Player)
	Player.Chatted:connect(function(message)
		Notifications:SendMessage(Player.Name.. " chatted!",message,1)
	end)
end)

[size=4]Click me to download packed extension![/size]

Off topic, but I so read PubNub wrong.

1 Like

So did 99.99% of people on Twitter haha.

RIP Firefox users

I can try

Neat addition: I got it working with android devices, it’d probably work with apple devices also but I don’t feel like paying the 100 USD since I don’t have a Mac and yes you are forced to develop apple apps on Macs. :frowning:

So did 99.99% of people on Twitter haha.[/quote]

I did too, I thought it said PunHub and I was expecting a site full of puns I could use during a conversation :frowning:

So did 99.99% of people on Twitter haha.[/quote]

I did too, I thought it said PunHub and I was expecting a site full of puns I could use during a conversation :([/quote]

If you’re looking for a pun generator, send a tweet to ScriptOn. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any updates on if it is finished publishing yet? :smiley: I can’t wait to use it!

Apparently it has been 72 hours since I’ve applied for the Chrome Developer program and I’m still waiting…

That doesn’t even make any sense… That’s 3x as much time as it said “This could take up to 24 hours” lol’d

Any news?

I think it’s broken I’ll call them soon :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t understand what this does?
Sends messages from in-game to a website?

[quote] I don’t understand what this does?
Sends messages from in-game to a website? [/quote]

Basically you use the server to send a “push notification” to your chrome browser, for example if you have Seranok’s Hat notifier, you notice he uses the chrome notification API to notify when a hat is out on the lower right corner you can do the same but send messages from in game to your browser.

@Pyrolysis, the problem is that google hasn’t recived cash from you, and hasn’t activated your chrome account yet.
it’s 25$ to activate. isn’t it.

I thought of a good use for this set up trigger words/phases like

‘bug, not working, don’t work’

When someone says it I get a notification and it’s my call if I check it out or not.

Also, if google still hasn’t accepted it yet. Just pack the extension, put it in a zip and upload it. We can manually install it;

[quote] @Pyrolysis, the problem is that google hasn’t recived cash from you, and hasn’t activated your chrome account yet.
it’s 25$ to activate. isn’t it. [/quote]

It’s a one time fee of $5.

Here is a version of the extension that is packed, I don’t know how I’d push updates though. xD

[size=4]Click me![/size]

This is a great idea, but you didn’t need DO or PubNub or any of it.

For hosting your matchmaking service, it’s extremely likely that an OpenShift gear would have been perfectly fine. OpenShift can handle a lot of traffic and lets you run just about anything. Their service is extremely easy to use, and uses git which is great for a number of reasons I don’t think I need to mention.

PubNub is not required either, regardless of the service you use for matchmaking. If you’re deadset on wasting money on a DigitalOcean droplet you could use a socket.io server or similar. The same would work on OpenShift. (Refer to http://autobahn.ws/)