Roblox Studio has a frequent chance to completely crash upon second play testing

Play testing a game once will result in it working fine- however when you play test the same game for a second time, it results in an immediate crash. I am unsure if this is selective to just myself- however I can confirm it’s not place specific, it happens on all studio instances regardless of the place itself.

No crash dump is created from this- unsure as to why

This seems to only be happening on version-e466aee842f345cf, from what I can tell(?)

4 Likes

Unsure if this is a globalized issue or just myself, if anyone is interested in testing it, that would be helpful for replication.

For whatever ROBLOX Employee that ends up looking at this, if you could send me a private message and I can provide the logs- albeit they are very short, but they do exist

Update:

After looking in to the DMP file alongside the logs, it appears to be an issue with widgets attempting to dock during play testing.

while i cant confirm playtesting crashing me specifically, i do know that it’s to do with widgets recalculating their docks. it happens fairly reliably when you undock/dock certain things (like the animation editor)

2 Likes

This is just one of many crashing instigators that studio has grown recently.

Every single time on the second play test studio crashes completely, luckily I haven’t lost any work through this.

And to reconfirm what @minkmink said, when you go to dock something and you don’t drop a window in a specific region of the docking frames that appear, studio will just crash and unluckily enough, I have lost hours of work through this crash.

I think Roblox should look into following proper logging protocols when studio decides to stop working so we can actually submit proper reports that have a narrow window for debugging.

I thought I’d be the only one experiencing whatever this is

If you guys aren’t opted into this

but you talk all about docking issues, does it fix if you opt into this? :thinking:

Last time I used this it had a few bugs, hence why I walked away from it.

Nevermind, but okay… I think this has to do with a FFlag, I experienced an issue like this when I was experimenting with Studio. I don’t know which FFlag though.

1 Like

Just tested this,

It works completely fine play testing & docking windows with this unchecked.

So yeah I think it’s the docking system causing the crash.

You had the beta docking checked on before?

1 Like

Yeah. I did have it checked before.

Thanks for the report! We’ll investigate and follow up with updates.

Hi, can you please DM your recent logs during/after the crash? We can pull crash dumps on the backend.

Actually, we just made a change on our end. Node, if you reenable beta after a restart can you let us know if this is still occurring?

1 Like

Hey! This update appears to have fixed it, awesome! If you would still like the logs for whatever reason just please let me know!

Thanks, we understand the issue on our end. This was a knock on from another fix we just enabled, we’ve disabled that for now. Glad to hear you are running again.

1 Like

Hey! This post was marked as solved, and the implication was that the change made above fixed the issue.

However further discussion was made in my messages with @robloxtuesdays0611

There was also a redirect to this post stating that the feature with layout adjustments (presumably the one which causes crashes), was disabled for now.

While this crash as a whole is fixed, is it safe to assume that whatever feature was disabled aforementioned in this thread, is still disabled? And the root cause for as to why it was causing crashes is still unknown?

Hi @NodeSupport. The actual fix is going to be enabled in the next release. Thank you for all your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.