Roblox Terms of Use Update

No, not true. Why on earth would Roblox choose to revert users to pay premium in order to get 70% of the earnings? Previously and as of now, we don’t need to buy premium to earn 70% and if Roblox removes this then they aren’t supporting new talented clothing designers and small developers.

I hope this is a typo…

6 Likes

So if I as a clothing designer upload something for my group, anyone can simply “promote” in their game and steal 40% of revenue??

And also if I upload for someone else’s group (clothing); I get 30% of the revenue? What happens if I upload to my profile?
No thanks I rather get none if someone can just promote and profit from my clothes without consent…

13 Likes

I think that its only if you sell a shirt or a pass you get the cut depending on your premium membership. I can’t remember.

4 Likes

No, that was in the past. Currently, you don’t need premium to earn 70% of the sales you earn from a shirt you’ve uploaded.

3 Likes

It would be appreciated if someone could please clarify.

4 Likes

@omgcchheeessee
I think you entirely missed “Except as allowed in these User Terms or any other Roblox Terms”, if any other terms says Roblox or you can use them applicable by those terms, they & you can use those UGC.

5 Likes

Ah I see, I haven’t been keeping up with this stuff.

2 Likes

The distributor would be generating revenue that would not have existed otherwise. In return for creating an entirely new channel for clothing to be sold, they receive a 40% commission (you would be retaining a 30% royalty from their efforts). Games that sell clothing would not be stealing or negatively impacting existing revenues.

11 Likes

Does this change impact legacy clothing? (2d clothing) If it does, what does Roblox plan on doing to help creators who are barred from creating UGC and can only create 2d clothing until UGC becomes public? A lot of individuals on the platform will be impacted if this does happen (including myself) will see our revenue from clothing sales on the platform reduced by 40% from the catalog. I understand why Roblox would do a change like this for the UGC program (because it’s a market with much less competition) but taking an additional 40% from individuals who already have a hard time competing without giving this part of UGC the same kind of care that individuals who are in the UGC program get is unfair and another barrier in which will prevent people from even attempting to learn on the platform.

10 Likes

I still don’t see how that’s fair because, there’s sponsored payments people make to promote items, which usually is a one-time payment. Furthermore, clothing designers like myself who do realistic clothes spend hours upon hours. I don’t really see how it’s fair especially when we could make more through simple marketing or sponsoring the item.

2 Likes

I agree, and that’s my concern. I really don’t see how this is fair when UGC gets profitable revenue regardless whereas 2d clothing doesn’t.

3 Likes

In the Earned ROBUX Section 4, it states:
“trading/selling virtual goods that you did not create) are not Earned Robux.”

Does this mean that if playerA sells a UGC item in their experience created by playerB, playerA will not be able to withdraw any ROBUX earned from the Distributor + in-game commissions via DevEx?

3 Likes

Apparently they can, that was my question too which someone else answered.

3 Likes

What, the creator getting 70%? That’s an industry standard.

3 Likes

I don’t believe the catalog 40% reduction applies to clothing. The TOS said “distributers” therefore, I believe that only applies to UGC Items. However, if it’s uploaded to a group you own I believe the only reduction from the 70% profit is that the original uploaded (designer) will be getting 30%. Although, if someone chooses (this could be with or without consent which is what bothers me) to upload to their game, then they’d be profiting from your clothes. I understand that those sales wouldn’t be there without them but, I still don’t understand how that’s fair in several ways as sponsoring and running ads on clothing is also a thing.

3 Likes

They said it was a typo, so it’s not affecting 2D clothing

6 Likes

Wait so none of this affects Clothing? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Yes, it only applies to 3D items.

4 Likes

I thought Roblox was getting the 70% and the UGC Designers were getting the 30%. My bad. The whole situation about that part is a misunderstanding anyway.

As explained later in the thread, it was a typo.

4 Likes

This has always been the case, it just wasn’t documented in the terms of use.

3 Likes