ROBLOX using CPU instead of GPU for rendering

I was having performance issues in Davidii and Defaultio’s new game, so I decided to look and see what specifically the issue was. It was rendering:

The profiler confirmed this:

I thought that was odd since nobody else in the game was having performance issues, and I have a pretty decent GPU, so I decided to take a look at my task manager, and my CPU was almost at full load. When I had the game unfocused (first half of performance history chart) the usage wasn’t so bad, but when I focused the game it shot up to around 70-90% usage. I looked at the Shift+F1 panel and found that ROBLOX was detecting 0B of video memory as well:

I suspect that ROBLOX is using my CPU for rendering instead of my GPU. The 0B detected VRAM and high(er) CPU usage occurs, immediately, with every game I join – it’s 100% reproducible on my end. I never noticed the issue before yesterday, but I don’t play ROBLOX games frequently, so it could have started a while back. However, I can confirm that this wasn’t always an issue on this PC, and I haven’t changed drivers/hardware recently.

CPU/Integrated GPU: AMD A8-6600K APU
Dedicated GPU: AMD R9 380 4GB
Driver: Radeon ReLive 17.1.2

3 Likes

This happened to me earlier this year, i managed to fix it by going into the GPU’s control panel and assigning the roblox client to render with GPU. Though staff said it was fixed shortly after.

4 Likes

I’ve started having this issue my self…

1 Like

Can you please make and upload the microprofiler dump so that I can take a look?

5 Likes