Roblox VR System Update

The VR on Roblox was already real, but this is an improvement that will definitely bring more audience in this aspect, which means that there will be more games with VR support, thanks for the update!

If out of nowhere VR glasses appear in front of me, I would definitely try it first on Roblox

2 Likes

What do you mean, I couldnā€™t do anything before, now I can do ā€˜somethingā€™ in most games. Sure there were a handful of games that were able to script usable functionality, but that doesnā€™t help VR users that want to play ANY game on Roblox(that wasnā€™t coded specifically for VR)

4 Likes

like, im trying to make vr games now, and for tpā€™ing and stuff to work you have to press right thumbstick first
its annoying

2 Likes

I think I know what youā€™re saying. The 3rd person view? It needs work for sure. I tried to drive my vehicle in my game from 3rd person view and once I got in, the car just drives away as Iā€™m watching it from a distance. To drive it I had to use 1st person (by clicking the thumbstick to change views).

Are you saying when you TP the character is separated from the camera?

1 Like

No, tpā€™ing fully doesnt work, I change the camera cframe but I really need to find a way to make a new vr system.

2 Likes

TP works in my game on VR. Well, maybe its because I reset the camera by script when I TP. Now that I think about it, I have a couple of TP methods in my game, when I just do the cframe (my skydive launcher TP) I lose the character and have to reset the view (as you describe). But I also have a TP for traveling to different islands, and that one I set the camera cframe after TP and that one just works on VR, didnā€™t have to do anything.

Try mine and see if it works for you, go into the phone booth, thatā€™s my teleporter, game link in this post:

5 Likes

i kinda wanna make a vr racing game but i dont know how to detect input on gui for vr

2 Likes

Some gui stuff Iā€™m able to use by clicking the ā€˜in game uiā€™ button then pointing with the blue ray that shows up and clicking menu items. I did this with screenguiā€™s in my game and even click detectors in parts.

The main annoyance with that is that the roblox menu doesnā€™t pop up most of the time when I click it.

3 Likes

You can use Nexus VR Core for VR pointing on ScreenGuiā€™s, SurfaceGuiā€™s, and Click Detectors.

4 Likes

i like making stuff myself, not take stuff from others

3 Likes

By input, do you mean a simple trigger pull?

3 Likes

I couldnā€™t figure out how to change the SteamVR keybinds to match the Oculus Link defaults. I donā€™t know how to compare them to see the differences. I looked at some SteamVR community keybinds and tried a couple but they were no different. I think Iā€™m giving up on SteamVR and Virtual Desktop.

5 Likes

it would be cool to add support for finger tracking e.g the valve index knuckles support

3 Likes

This new VR stuff looks pretty cool but in the future will you be doing stuff with Augmented Reality

4 Likes

Please release roblox vr on app lab

5 Likes

I was trying out roblox vr for the first time today and didnt get a good user experience. The menu wasnt working, you couldnā€™t see the hands in vr, the camera woulnt move in third person mode, the vignette would flash on and off if you were just moving in real life, and in general the features were janky and didnt work properly. Until this is fully developed, these features should be a setting set by deafult to off. Also this breaks a lot of games with a custom vr setup.

As a summary, i believe these should be toggleable features until fully developed.

3 Likes

Canā€™t wait to see where this goes, hopefully the issues get fixed because honestly it would be cool to play Bloxburg or Brookhaven in VR.

3 Likes

The VR camera module can be forked and these things can be turned off, thatā€™s what I had to do

4 Likes

Iā€™m really interested in this. Seems like an awesome upgrade to ROBLOXā€™s vr system!

I noticed that the Oculus Touch controller layouts were the Quest 2ā€™s layout, not the rift or the Quest 1. Iā€™d love to see ROBLOX follow up on Quest 2ā€™s game demand.

Great job on the VR upgrade. Canā€™t wait to see where it will go!

3 Likes

Will Body Tracking ever be added? That would be a cool update!

5 Likes