Roblox Windows Classic Client Instantly Crashes

Repro steps:

1. Try to launch the Roblox Player from the Start Menu or from the Play button on any game’s page
  2. Watch the crash dialog appear.

System Information

Taskmgr_QGfUIyU1A4

Taskmgr_ZT4M6pOg4Z

Taskmgr_Gsg6iSLZZJ

Roblox Studio does not crash.

By “Classic Client” I mean the non-UWP client. That is, the client downloaded through the browser when pressing “Play” when Roblox is not already installed.

I first encountered this bug around the beginning or middle of June. The change to cause it may have happened earlier, but I was away on vacation for a few weeks and didn’t open the Roblox client during that time.

A private message is associated with this bug report

1 Like

Some things I’ve tried:

• Completely uninstalling both Studio and Player using the uninstall option, then reinstalling Roblox Player first. It still crashed. I then installed Studio, and Studio still worked.
  • Completely uninstalling both Studio and Player using the uninstall option, then deleting leftover files at %localappdata%\Roblox, then reinstalling the Roblox Player first. It still crashed. I then installed Studio, and Studio still worked.
  • Using Windows 11’s Graphics Settings to try running Roblox on both the integrated GPU and dedicated GPU. It crashed on both.
1 Like

Notably, the UWP client works fine right now.

• Initially when I got this bug, the UWP client worked fine, but the classic client crashed.
  • For a week or two, the UWP client would only display a white screen.
  • This week when I went to get a repro video of the UWP client for a separate bug report, it was suddenly working.

The classic client is still broken, and as a result the “Play” button on games in the browser does not work for me. This makes private testing in private places particularly hard, because I can’t join the private games using links from other members on my team and instead have to use workarounds to find the game in the UWP app.

1 Like

We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database, and will start investigating!

Thanks for flagging!

2 Likes

Hello Corecii,

Apologize for the trouble you have been having. It looks like you are running software called DTrace. In order to run the Roblox client you will need to disable DTrace.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thank you,
Clint

2 Likes

Thank you! This worked. I had DTrace installed to do some profiling of a Rust program, and totally forgot that I even installed it.

Majestic, No worries at all!
Happy we got your client working again. For some context you were getting blocked by our anti-tamper system designed to help prevent exploiting.

Have a great day,
Clint

1 Like