Romantic dialogue between characters in singleplayer game

I know Roblox has changed their rules recently to be more relaxed about romantic situations in games, but I’m still not clear what is and isn’t allowed for a singleplayer game I’m working on. In this game, you don’t play as your own Roblox avatar, but rather as a bunch of different set characters, some of which are in romantic relationships with other playable/non-playable characters. (also when i say ‘characters’, think of it as TV show or movie characters)

The only thing I want to know is, if in the game the characters do things like call eachother pet names (baby, darling, etc) and say they love eachother, as well as have the mention of their relationships with one another, would that be allowed?

The player has no input on what is said, as all dialogue is written by me, and it’s also a very minor part of the game, as there aren’t any full on conversations, just lines of dialogue characters can say. I just want to be clear on what’s allowed as I’ve been on Roblox a long time and I’m still very used to romantic themes/dating not being allowed in games.

This is what the community standards say:

It definitely sounds like it’s allowed so this might be a stupid question, but I just simply don’t want to take any risks lol, could also be helpful to others wondering the same

I think that, unfortunately, this wouldn’t be allowed. I don’t think the moderation will even care about you not playing as your own avatar - it’s still technically you being the character, if that makes sense.

As for it being NPC-player relationships, I’ve seen a few other people ask this question, and all I can say is that you probably shouldn’t risk it; despite loosening up the rules a bit, Roblox still seems very strict when it comes to romance in games.

1 Like

Yeah, I really wish the guidelines were more clear on this. I think that it should be allowed in small dialogue forms between fictional characters (not players) for story type games, but I totally get not wanting things like physical affection animations/gestures or AI romance chatbots (neither of those belong on roblox lmao)

Again though, it’s unclear as the rules seem to mostly be geared towards relationships being formed between players and not fictional ones between characters in a game. It specifies being prohibited if it ‘seeks real world romantic relationships’, which doesn’t apply here at all.

I don’t know, though. For now I won’t take the risk until I’m 100% certain if it’s allowed.

1 Like

Alright, after doing some more digging, I believe that these things are allowed, but ONLY in 17+ experiences.

Just leaving that here for anyone else who is wondering the same thing.

Personally I think it’s super restricting to only allow this to 17+ ID verified users, especially when it’s an insanely minor part of my game, and 17+ games get nowhere near as much traction, so I will just try to do without it. I think what I was asking should be allowed for 13+ experiences at the very least, but that’s just my opinion. Hope Roblox will come back to this and re-evaluate it one day, as well as be more specific in their guidelines.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.