Rope constraint and part spin

Hey !

I’m currently working on a new game, with a lot of abandonned buildings. Some of them contain cellar lights that are supposed to be “broken”. So I used rope constraint to make the player collide with the light. But when it falls, or when I touch it, the lamp starts to spin and do weird things. I think that it comes from the weight of the object (I tried to modify the density, nothing) and the strenght of the rope. Maybe constraint position ?

Could someone help me to fix that thing to make it look “smoother” than something that spins ? (Should moving at the end, until we touch it back). There is the problem in video ;

https://streamable.com/ohvecm

Thanks for helping !

Regards,

Fortress_LH

I don’t think it’s anchored, correct me if I’m wrong.

Roblox Physics Engine at it’s finest!

All jokes aside, this happens because the light is connected to 1 point in space. The connected point acts like a ball bearing allowing rotation and movement in all axis and degrees of rotation. There’s no fix for this that I know however I hope this information is helpful to you…

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, but is there a way to bypass it ?

As far as I know there’s no way to bypass this ball-bearing joint problem.

Only solution to this would be adding a 2nd rope some distance away from the 1st rope, preferably 5 studs away from the 1st rope. However sincerely the light is hanging vertically, adding a 2nd rope will have the same effect. Instead of having the light fully vertical try having the light semi-vertical, like 45 degrees so it looks like it’s drooping and if touched by the player the light will jiggle around for a while until it rests. Thus, killing the weird spin.

1 Like

I’ll try to find a way to trick that… Thanks for replying though, i’ll keep you up if I find something.

Any update? i also have this issue