Rope Constraints Lagging / Low FPS On Client

Hi, I’m using rope constraints in a ragdoll figure to animate animations but with wobbly physics (these fake joints are connected to the main ones by rope constraints making a wobbly feel), when I run this in server mode it is smooth and well working, but when I run it on the client the rope constraints are jittery and laggy.

Server Side Version: (This is smooth and as expected / desired)

Client Side Version (Laggy and slow, everything else is fine its just the constraints so its not a my pc problem)

If you need better video examples I can try and get you some

1 Like

Assuming that the server is calculating the physics of the wobbly parts, this could be caused by server to client communication latency. You might want to consider having the client calculate the physics of said parts by setting their NetworkOwner. Depending on how your game is designed to work, you may want to play around with that as well, is this a single player simulation game or is this multiplayer?

Edit: misspelling, I’m using a mobile browser :cry:

Its a single player, but it can be multiplayer as they will be a multiplayer mode. (Where another player can play as red instead of just 1 player vs ai

edit: ive tried network owner and it seems to be working, but isnt this not safe as exploiters can take advantage of it?

For the single player mode, I would suggest letting the client calculate the physics as this wouldn’t affect other’s experience, unless of course you have statistics or data that you are saving from the single player to the multiplayer mode. For multiplayer, you would want the server to have network ownership of the NPCs as exploiters would have the same amount of control over them as they do their own character. You could possibly have the server do the calculations of the NPCs and the client can render the NPCs from the server’s given calculations. However, this could be performance demanding depending on how often the server would communicate to the client the NPCs actions. I’m no expert on this subject, I suggest looking at what other people have talked about in other DevForum posts.

k, thanks! (character limit abcdefg)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.