RoSound 2.2.1: Audio discovery made simple [1.5K+ installs]

Update 2.0.4 is out!

The RoSound source code is now obfuscated, which means that it is much more difficult to exploit the code, break the plugin, or steal the plugin’s code. This will also help deter hackers who are trying to get access to Paid Audio for free. Shoutout to all the developers who found the security vulnerabilities and helped me patch them. Thank you all so much!

An extremely small bug with the plugin title was also fixed, along with a couple new SFX. Enjoy!

Make sure to join the Discord Server: RoSound Community Server

EDIT: Update will be reverted soon. Thanks for your patience.

This plugin is now my new toolbox

2 Likes

Add these sounds to rosound. These are all bullet ricochet sounds.
NONE OF THESE ARE MINE
“rbxassetid://285421608”
“rbxassetid://285421626”
“rbxassetid://285421635”
“rbxassetid://285421653”
“rbxassetid://285421669”
“rbxassetid://285421687”
“rbxassetid://285421733”
“rbxassetid://285421759”
“rbxassetid://285421804”
“rbxassetid://285421819”

1 Like

obfuscating is not security as it can get deobfuscated easily. (Explained in discord server)

1 Like

this is dumb. ._. Dont see how you’re proud of that

I’ve obfuscated the source code mainly to prevent users from accessing the Paid Audio sort without actually purchasing the gamepass. This also helps prevent exploiting and breaking the plugin.

I understand that the source code can easily be de-obfuscated but it still adds another layer of work to accessing the source code, thus deterring a lot of would-be exploiters.

As always, thanks for your feedback, and have a great day!

1 Like

Okay, but the con will be most new users will not trust the plugin

1 Like

Most new users will not even look at the source code. Plus, the plugin has over 800 downloads and a lot of great reviews. You can tell that the plugin is trustworthy.

If I remember correctly, Obfuscation is against tos. Idk I just remember someone said ir

I don’t think any rules exist in the TOS that prohibit script obfuscation. Many scripts which are malicious don’t even use obfuscation, so it’s not like that would prevent hackers and exploiters from installing backdoors into your games/assets. I don’t really see the point of such a rule, even if it did exist.

The fact remains that I don’t actually know about such a rule and haven’t heard about anything like this either, so if you find evidence to confirm this, please let me know. Thank you.

It is

Now deobfuscate your code before i do

1 Like

Where did you take that screenshot? That looks like the audio sales tab.

De-obfuscating the code wouldn’t really make a difference anyway.

right click on a model and click “Save to roblox”. Scroll down and you’ll find that.

I mean it’s easily to decode.

All you’re doing is limiting yourself and limiting others from learning. The whole point of adding stuff to the marketplace is to help people. Obfuscating your code is NOT helping people learn from your source code.

I obviously have a reason to be upset. I’ve seen wayyy too many cool, lovely projects on the marketplace that have obfuscated code. And limits me and other developers from learning, in turn holding back the community.

1 Like

Script obfuscation is not security, and it certainly isn’t intended for that purpose. It is simply designed to make stealing/exploiting code more difficult by adding another layer of work.

After viewing multiple other posts with the same perspective on obfuscation, I have decided to de-obfuscate the plugin source code with one condition - you do not exploit the code.

Accessing Paid Audio illegitimately, deliberately abusing the plugin’s features, or anything along these lines will result in permanent plugin deletion. Paid Audio is my only source of revenue.

EDIT: The code has been de-obfuscated, but don’t update the plugin just yet. Some new features (translation, anyone?) aren’t working correctly and may cause the plugin to break. Do not update until this is resolved.

EDIT 2: Version 2.1.0 releases soon! Translation will probably not be available in this update.

3 Likes

Its seems you are upset at obfuscating code

most of your points are weak

some people need to obfuscate(a scenario"this happens a lot"):a person creates a cool shader’s and someone reads the source code and makes a app for it and it damages the creators income(which I saw happen a lot in other platforms too)

how you are limiting yourself that’s ridiculous

as for learning: learn how to make not just copy paste
if its hold back the community they should start learning and playing around with concepts instead of just copy pasting all the time which limits there skills

so obfuscating is important and even if you deobfuscated it you won’t understand it because the source will be changed a lot

-- source code
local hi = "hello world"
-- when deobfuscated
local variable1 = "hello world"

imagine if its a huge source code understanding it will be difficult

1 Like

Learning from code isnt just copy and pasting. I learned a lot from free models by reading their source code and seeing how they do certain tasks and incorporate it into my code.

Im soo sorry that you’re soooo smart to not use free models to learn :skull:

Infact, your points are week yourself.

That’s the issue, he’s releasing his plugin for free and not expecting people to use his code to learn new concepts. The only way he is making revenue is via a gamepass. I haven’t seen anyone release a free version of the plugin.

2 Likes

Well from what i know community resources need to be open-source, And technically obfuscated code means it isnt open-source because we can’t read it unless we de-obfuscate it.

Not only that, Un-obfuscated code allows people to virus/backdoor check, Learn from it, Ect.
If someone really did release a copy of this plugin on the devforum, They’d get a lot of hate.

Who says they are gonna copy in paste instead of reading how the OP coded everything?
I mean are you talking out of personal experience??

2 Likes

LMAO. This is the most hilarious post ive seen. first of all hes nof copy pasting code at all, hes reading it. and obfuscation damages that ability, thus even when code obfusxated i could still bypass the check when obfuscated.

stop thinking obfuscating is good security lmaoo

2 Likes

reading these posts is very nice :smiley: i like seeing people talk about something i made lol

update 2.1 releases soon, will de-obfuscate plugin so yeah have a nice day!

2 Likes

A reply to @TheH0meLands, @Nerbzzz and @commitblue

each section is dedicated as a reply to the listed Usernames

Section 1: TheH0meLands

Learning from code isnt just copy and pasting.
I learned a lot from free models by reading their source code
and seeing how they do certain tasks and incorporate it into my code.

I see that you checked the source code of free-models an used it in your code. That’s a good way to learn yet you should check the devforum.roblox.com since most free-models, I seen use poor programming practice and may contain malicious which can somehow leak into your code

Im soo sorry that you’re soooo smart to not use free models to learn :skull:

I learned from devforum.roblox.com and developer.roblox.com, I wonder if you can count tutorials as free-models which helps me a lot!

That’s the issue, he’s releasing his plugin for free and not expecting people to use his code to learn new concepts. The only way he is making revenue is via a gamepass. I haven’t seen anyone release a free version of the plugin.

I don’t see many uses you can learn from this plugin (unless you are making a audio related plugin) its a intermediate source code, there are some new concepts such as the way it plays audio. The problem there is people are bypassing the plugin to use premium features reducing the income for the creator. Yes none had yet released a free version of the plugin which can be easily done

Section 2: Nerbzzz

Well from what i know community resources need to be open-source, And technically obfuscated code means it isnt open-source because we can’t read it unless we de-obfuscate it.

That’s true community resources needs to be open-source, but there are few benefits from this being open-source.

Not only that, Un-obfuscated code allows people to virus/backdoor check, Learn from it, Ect.
If someone really did release a copy of this plugin on the devforum, They’d get a lot of hate.

That’s a good point checking for virus/backdoor, and learn many methods. yup they will gets lots of hate if they released a free-version copy of this plugin(Any intermediate programmer can do that)

The creator can obfuscate the part of the source-code where it manages the premium benefits or just add a donations

Who says they are gonna copy in paste instead of reading how the OP coded everything?
I mean are you talking out of personal experience??

Well some might read how its coded, but some people don’t care and just want a code that does what they need. and change some parts

Section 3:commitblue

LMAO. This is the most hilarious post ive seen. first of all hes nof copy pasting code at all, hes reading it. and obfuscation damages that ability, thus even when code obfusxated i could still bypass the check when obfuscated.

Alright if you say so.
Of course I know his reading it, some people don’t want people to read it (I seen other pretty cool plugins do this) , yup obfuscation damages the ability that’s it purpose.
And that’s the current problem of the plugin people are bypassing it (the premium features), that’s why i recommended on this post to use donations (or get on creator marketplace somehow).

stop thinking obfuscating is good security lmaoo

its a good security that can be used against beginners for few minutes, but it makes bypassing a bit of more pain

The End

Alright that’s what i have to say(my opinions) and please focus on the topic.I am quite tired now after writing this long post. :tired_face:

Message to the creator:
I understand that your plugin is being bypassed and obfuscation is sort of useless, options: get a plugin in creator marketplace or add donations a game-pass is easily bypassed.

And “Roblox” don’t allow front-end and back-end for plugins which will be useful for game-pass

P.S: this plugin is great