Rotate model around a given point?

I’m in the midst of building something that requires that the the edges of a couple of models line up perfectly. This has been an issue for me in the past and is now as well. I know that there are ways to rotate singular parts around a point, but I have had a hard time finding a way to rotate whole models that isn’t tedious.

If you don’t yet understand what I’m trying to do, I basically want to select an edge on a model and have all of the parts inside of it stick to the selected part and rotate with it.

I’ve tried searching for an answer online as well as using Buildv4 and the Transform tool, but these are pretty slow and can sometimes result in something weird happening to the model. If you have any other suggestions, they’re obviously welcome!

Thanks!

Have you tried F3X? I was able to do this by selecting the rotate tool (use last selected), select children of the model in workspace (or drag to select in viewport), press and hold r to select the midpoint of the edge, then rotate.

If you’re willing to take another shot with v4, here’s a gif of me doing this very task. I kept my hands off the keyboard, so you can watch the mouse as it goes to the relevant buttons.

2018-09-16_15-30-25

Downside, I don’t know how to make ShareX make it very obvious when I click, so… sorry.

Main sequence of events:

Press “c” to enter rotate mode, press “r” to rotate around a point. Select the edge which you want to rotate around. Then drag the arc handles to move the model.

1 Like

Use SBS. It allows you to select an edge and rotate around it.

Select “Edge Select”, then (IIRC) use Alt + MMB on an edge and you’re free to select anything else and rotate.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I’ll try those out and one of them should work. :slight_smile: