Rotate part relative to local rotation

Hi devs,

I’ve been stuck on a coding issue for the past few weeks. One of my commissions focuses on a combat move where the player shoots a beam from their hands. I decided I wanted to add debris around the spot of impact, in other words the raycast position.

What is my issue?
The debris parts rotate on the regular world’s y-axis. Image A

What do I want to achieve?
I want the parts to rotate relative to the pivot*, / I want the parts to be positioned
‘against’ the wall. Image B

What solutions have I tried so far?
I have tried using several methods including CFrame:ToWorldSpace() and such, but I’m not that familiar with 3D spaces, so these failed miserably.

Description (pictures will follow): For this challenge, I have positioned a part named pivot at the position where the ray hits the wall. Image C The pivot is oriented with its front face pointing forward;

--snippet of the pivot creation
local pivot = Instance.new("Part")
pivot.CFrame = CFrame.lookAt(pivot.Position, ray.Position + ray.Normal)

Around the pivot, debris is created;

--snippet of a rock creation including a solution I tried which can be seen in the following images
local rock = Instance.new("Part")
rock.CFrame = pivot.CFrame:ToWorldSpace(CFrame.fromEulerAngles(0, math.rad(angle), 0))
rock.CFrame = rock.CFrame:ToWorldSpace(CFrame.new(0, 0, 5))

Image A

Image B
b

Image C
c

1 Like

Maybe try and use the part’s lookVector

So you want it to look like image B but it looks like image A?

Don’t know how I’d use that. I already positioned the the part to face up from the surface it hit.

Yeah that’s what I’m trying to do

It’s not the best code but this is what I was able to make

here’s the code:

local pivot = Instance.new("Part", workspace)
pivot.Anchored = true
pivot.Size = Vector3.new(1, 1, 1)

while true do
	local direction = (workspace:WaitForChild("Endpoint").Position - workspace:WaitForChild("origin").Position).Unit
	local origin = workspace.origin.Position

local params = RaycastParams.new()
	params.FilterType = Enum.RaycastFilterType.Exclude
	params.FilterDescendantsInstances = {workspace.origin, workspace.Endpoint, pivot, workspace.circles:GetChildren()}

local result = workspace:Raycast(origin, direction * 1000, params)

if not result then continue end

pivot.CFrame = CFrame.new(result.Position, result.Position + result.Normal) * CFrame.Angles(-math.pi/2, 0, 0)

workspace.circles:ClearAllChildren()

for i = 0, 360, 15 do
		local p = Instance.new("Part", workspace.circles)
		p.Anchored = true
		p.Size = Vector3.new(1, 1, 1)
		p.CFrame = pivot.CFrame * CFrame.Angles(0, math.rad(i), 0) * CFrame.new(0, 0, 3)
	end

wait(1)
end

This kind of works.
I think I didn’t formulate my question correctly.
How would I create the debris circle that is always relative to the surface it hit? Where it’d always appear like that as in your example even if it hit a wedge.

so you want it to do something like this?

Yeah, I want the parts to always be positioned against the instance it hit, no matter what orientation or part type it is.

I don’t know if you ended up getting this working but once you have the placement for the pivot node, you could do multiple raycasts downward relative to the pivots upvector and then place each surrounding rock at each raycast

1 Like

Unfortunately haven’t fixed it yet.
I already thought of that, but this again falls under my question, how would I go about positioning/raycasting a certain direction relative to the pivot’s UpVector?

Apparently the raycast was being interrupted by a few other parts, I fixed that.
Spawning parts to the pivot’s rightVector while having the pivot rotate around its Z-axis works!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.