Rotating a model causes parts to move slowly apart from each other

Reproduction Steps

When rotating a model, it causes the parts to slowly get apart from each other. This appears to happen only when having a model selected, and you rotate it.

Studio Version:
Version 0.553.0.5530621

My system specs:

• Intel Core i7-9700K
  • 32GB ram
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • Windows 11

Beta Features:

• All disabled

Reproduction Files:

• Happens in any studio instance but I will provide the model I tested it with. TestedModel.rbxm (3.4 KB)

Plugins:

• All disabled

Expected Behavior

The expected behavior is that the parts stick together, like in the video below. The example is achieved by selecting all parts within the model and rotating those.

Actual Behavior

When you rotate the model the parts will get apart from each other, first rotation it’s only a few 0.001 studs. But the more you rotate, the bigger it becomes.
In the video, I tested it with the rotation tool. I first duplicated a model and then rotated it. The more you rotate, the further the parts get from each other.

Here’s another example with just drag + R.

Another example that shows how extreme, and quickly it can become:

The bug appears to happen with any type of rotation tool, including rotate, transform and R key bind. And only happens when rotating a model. The behavior doesn’t happen on folders.

Tested: Duplicating a model isn’t the cause, happens to the original models as well.

Workaround

You can individually select all parts inside the model to rotate it without messing up. But that slows the workflow heavily down.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-09-14 00:09:00 (+02:00) (Noticed it a couple of months ago, but it’s possible a much older bug)

8 Likes

What are you doing differently between the expected behavior video and the actual behavior video? Does the bug not happen all the time, or only with drag+r?

1 Like

I’ve experienced this issue when I’ve scripted an object (with multiple parts) to rotate continuously, but not while using the rotate tool in Studio.

1 Like

My extended video shows it with all types of rotation. But it was too big to upload on here. So I had to share with a link.

The expected behavior video is when you select all parts within the model and rotate it. While the actual behavior video is when you rotate the model itself.

Edit: Uploaded it to YouTube now.

2 Likes

It might help to specify in the bug report that the expected video is obtained by selecting the parts directly instead of the model.

I always wanted to report this but never got to it, thanks!

I’m also experiencing this annoying bug except I notice it most when I’m dragging a part and press F to pay respects to all affected by the beta app focus the camera to the part while dragging it (since my maps tend to be large).

And in relation to rotating objects, I also find parts misaligned by .0xx studs when I have a model that’s already rotated, and then I duplicate it and drag it somewhere.

And somewhat related, sometimes when rotating objects by 15 degrees, studio forgets how to do math and has the object’s orientation something like 89.94 despite the object visually being at 90 degrees.

23.Nov: Just wanted to add on, managed to record me replicating this, same occurrence like in the original post

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes