RunService:Run() on a paused instance freezes studio

Reproduction Steps

1. Create a new place
  2. Run the game via Test → Play, Test → Run, or game:GetService("RunService"):Run()
  3. Pause the game via Test → Pause or game:GetService("RunService"):Pause()
  4. Resume the game via game:GetService("RunService"):Run()

Expected Behavior
I expected the physics simulation to play as it does if you use the Test → Resume button. This is also what RunService:Run() used to do back in 2019 when I last worked on this plugin.

Actual Behavior
Instead of resuming the physics simulation the game area permanently freezes. The outer area remains active until you click the wrong thing, at which point the entire program freezes. As far as I can tell things you can’t click are stuff that interacts with the game area, ie changing your tool as I did in the video.

In the attached video I pressed pause and play multiple times before causing the bug. This is not required to reproduce this bug, I just wanted to display the expected behavior first.

System Details
Windows 10 Home 20H2 19042.1151
Studio version 0.514.0.5140398 (64bit)
Issue was reproduced with plugins disabled (-disableLoadUserPlugins)

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Freezing
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-02-19 07:02:00 (-07:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-02-19 07:48:00 (-07:00)

6 Likes

Thanks for the report! Filed an internal ticket.

3 Likes

This issue still exists and continues to prevent me from developing and releasing my plugin.

Version 0.540.205.5400504 (64bit)

Hi @DaMrNelson

Sorry for not updating you!

If the issue is still happening, please provide us some dump files, so we can find the root cause of the freeze! If you don’t know how to find them, please check this guide!

Ping me after you’ve provided them, thank you!

We couldn’t repro this - is it still an issue?