Ruski's Tutorial #1 - How to design a map layout

Fabulous guide, I’m sure many people including myself will find this useful either now or in the future!

2 Likes

You don’t need to sketch out your stuff on paper, you can use whatever works best for planning! Sometimes even just writing up some notes as to what you want the map to look and feel like is enough. I myself on some maps might scribble a rough plan then slowly build off it and draw over my studio screenshots to think up how I’ll add on or adjust the map.

Example photos

16 Likes

Amazing tutorial, I aren’t well experienced at building, but using this tutorial I know how to work on it.

4 Likes

Really loving this guide, this will definitely improve my map builds.

5 Likes

Dam!
Excellent tutorial, I have always been a great admirer of your constructions and projects

Hope one day we could work together!

7 Likes

Oh. My. Lord. Thank you SO much! I honestly think that because of you, my games I’ve showcased look a lot better then before. I’m so glad I found this tutorial. I just can’t thank you enough.

Very good tutorial, very well thought out, very well described, and all steps are very clear and straightforward.

10/10, would recommend

5 Likes

Thank you a lot for this! I will definitely be using some of these tricks while designing levels for my game.

3 Likes

Hey I have a question. When working with smooth terrain, do you typically sketch the terrain first on paper? Just wondering cause ive started working with smooth terrain but unsure how to plan the layout of the terrain.

1 Like

I do usually. I’ll also sometimes use parts/bricks to lay out rough areas & sizes, then will go over it all with a brush later on and “draw” the terrain map, then expand off of that. Hard to explain. I’m working on a very large project with a lot of terrain. I’ve been recording and documenting the progress and will create a tutorial on it once finished!

7 Likes

I think I sorta understand. Sorry for the super late reply. Got really busy! Though thank you for the tip!

1 Like

A little typo. And tis tutorial was really nice, good job man! (and nice map :stuck_out_tongue:)

Awesome tutorial, I’m glad I found this. One of the major parts where I’m usually stuck at with my builds is where to start. I couldn’t make a good, proper layout myself and I was always dependant on others when it comes to layout. I’d usually handle everything else after that.

This is really helpful for me, thank you so much!

3 Likes

Do you guys use any Free Models? Anything not made 100% or even 70% by you for your maps/projects? For example maybe Roblox catalog items, maybe free model props (like trees, bushes, rocks, etc.) I know people do, but to what extend do you/should you use things not made by you?

3 Likes

Oh my god! Your builds are gorgeous. I think any builder can benefit from this guide. Thanks!

2 Likes

Nice Tutorial helped out a lot!

2 Likes

WOW. This is awesome! This tutorial is so helpful, more people should see this.

2 Likes

This is very helpful! Thanks to you I know how to build maps more better now!

2 Likes

Super useful, Thanks for this awesome information.

If I may ask, how do you go on about creating roads like that? They are smooth, and just like your plan. Overall the entire topic was covered perfectly. Bravo on that.

REMEMBER: Go outside!

You lost me there

2 Likes