Save as local plugin should use the local draft of a script rather than the server version

As a Roblox Developer, it is currently impossible to quickly write and test plugins by saving them as a local plugin, without having to commit drafts to the server.

This has severely impacted my workflow when developing plugins in a collaborative session. It has introduced two major challenges:

• Plugin development is often a fast paced environment where you’re constantly writing small changes and testing them locally. This process repeats itself over and over. Having to navigate to the draft window and commit each minuscule change really slows it down, and has made debugging issues much more difficult. I often find myself forgetting to commit these changes because there’s no visual indicator, then struggling to find out why something isn’t working.

• It is impossible to collaborate with other users working on a plugin effectively because you are unable to test your local changes. This has created a loop of continuously overwriting each others changes and deploying broken code to the server version of our plugin.

This is inconsistent with play solo testing. Plugins saved and tested locally use the server version rather than your local draft. This is undesirable behaviour and goes against the concept of pulling, editing, testing, and committing to and from central/local builds.

If Roblox is able to change this behaviour so local plugins run as the local draft, it’d be a massive quality of life improvement and greatly reduce the amount of conflicts/challenges with debugging we run into, ultimately speeding up our entire workflow shipping plugin changes from dev to prod used by thousands of users.

10 Likes

This just got on my nerves today, I was trying to quickly put together a local plugin in a Collaborative Editing TC session and was confused why my plugin didn’t seem to be running at all - I actually hadn’t committed the changes (which is another issue still, the need to do this is still completely invisible).

It makes no sense for me to have to push broken plugin code just to be able to test the plugin locally. The save as local plugin option should use the local version of the script.

2 Likes