Save Data From Universal Games

Keeping it simple and clear. Example: I have cash and tokens in a lobby it saves! But I want it to save from universal games relating to it as I am working on an Tower Defense Game. I want to achieve this simply and not using an external server since I never worked with them.

This would make my development on my Tower Defense Game. Extremely Easy. And I can work on events and such.

Any responses relating to this topic would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Pretty sure if you just keep the key as “global” it’ll be global in universe.

I never heard of an DataStore Key nor how to keep it Global. What function does it have and what does it do exactly?

Sorry, I meant scope.

DataStoreService:GetDataStore("Key", "Scope") will create with the scope “Scope”, so what you do is just not provide it at all.

1 Like

Since I am not good with DataStores nor good at them but I got an plugin which makes an DataStore for me very easily.

So you mean that the player’s data will still be in the universe game from the lobby? So I just get that data from the player?

Also I do not know how DataStore Scopes work.

yes if the scope is global it’ll be in all universes

Are scopes basically like this? How does scope in DataStores work?

Would I need a scope or can I just use 2 data stores and get them from the universal place?

Read up on DataStoreService and GlobalDataBases on the WIKI. You could also use AWS and pay for a server to host an API gateway that routes the request to a lambda connecting to Amazon’s S3 storage-based system.

All of this requires reading and learning to understand.

Sorry. I am not good with DataStores nor know what their functions do. All I know is that DataStoreServices saves data and I do not know what Keys and scopes are however i can provide a picture of a code block to give some idea as I have this data store creation plugin. And also I cannot afford an external server.

Does an key store a player’s data?Capture

Can I get the key instead in a universal place instead of using a scope?

And than I can get the players data from there?

I learned more as the key is basically like a computer file but there’s the player’s data in it.

Would this method work?

I think the Datastore2 module will help you, because it can grab data saved instantly between places of the same game. It makes saving data a thousand times easier since you don’t have to make your own data saving system, and prevents data loss and negates the effects of roblox going down. Here is also the documentation and a video on how to use it!

(not sponsered)

Thank you! :heart: (Sorry for replying so fast I am currently active right now.)

I will try this and I will mark you’re reply as the solution when I learn the basics of the module and set it up. :grin:

(I will learn the basics of it tomorrow since it is currently night for me.) :new_moon:

Use profile service instead
Its better supported
(also used just as much as datastore2 possibly even more)

ProfileService

I’m going to use DataStore2 instead since that sounds more reliable to me and more easy for me to learn.

ProfileService is actually quite a bit more reliable, and there’s more you can do with that. If you spend the 10 extra minutes to properly set it up, you’ll benefit from it in the future.

True, But as an advanced developer who’s starting to learn DataStores and stuff. Some stuff can be really confusing for me. I know ProfileService isn’t confusing to set up or anything like that. I just want a more slight glimpse of an easier path. Also DataStore2 can create backups in case Roblox goes down or something.