Save game state help

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    I would like to create a script that saves the game state, not player data, but the game its self such as builds that players make and every new instance that is created in the game. I am aware that datastores would not be able to house this much data.

2. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?
    I have tried looking for solutions but have not been able to find anything similar to this.

To get right to the point, I would like to be able to save builds and any edits that players make. Like a continuous server that won’t close. I am aware that roblox does not allow 24/7 servers. Would there be a way to save every detail in 1 server after it closes? I would like to make an open world game in which everything would stay put after you leave, allowing other players to see what you have done or even grief it.

I have no Idea where I would even start to do this.

Any input or ideas would be appreciated. Even if they don’t directly help me with this problem, I would like to know a good place to search for answers. Or if this Idea is completely unrealistic. I would like to know.

I’m kinda lost, are you talking about a placement system? Maybe look here: Creating A Furniture Placement System

2 Likes

Datastores do not save to specific servers, they save under the place instance as a whole.
If you want to store build schematics, I’d suggest making the player’s build a model class and saving it as an instance within a table along with a list of materials and their attributes, it’s long but it works.

If you want builds to remain in that server the player created them in - leave them, don’t need to do anything with them other than have them update your saved model if any instance is modified or destroyed or added.

If you’re looking for a universal datastore, consider using an external SQL database you can tailor to your needs and transfer data using HttpService.

Nothing is unrealistic! Keep experimenting until you find the way to do what you want to achieve.

No, not a placement system, I mean, if I were to place an item such as funiture. I would like it to save its place in the game. meaning once the server closes, the furniture will save its place for the next time the server opens. Not when a particular player joins, but when the server starts back up.

Alright, thank you. I may need to look into this. I have worked with webservers but I havent worked with sql databases yet.

If a server closes, it’s closed permanately. You can’t have a server “reopen” since it’s closed.

1 Like

Hmm. Alright, I will probably just external servers to save data or something.

Is the position the same for all servers or different?

1 Like

Different. So like, If I build a wall in a server. That will be the only server that will have that wall. If it’s closed then I want it to be able to be reopened with everything that was placed.

With this example, I think it’ll be not possible to do at the moment just due to the limitations. Though, I could be wrong. you can look into alternatives to achieve this, however.

2 Likes

Any news? im also looking for a way to save all the stuff players and enviroment made on the server

No, it seems it really is impossible. unless you are willing to fork out some cash to host a webserver that handles it all.

its not impossible, you can store everything unique in 1 table, lets say player-made blocks then when the server shuts down (use :BindToClose) you can save the table to a unique key that references that server (use GenerateGUID) and when a player joins the start place you can ask him which specific server world he wants to join or create a new one, then from the input you can either make a new server (and load the previous save file if it exists) or teleport the player to an existing one that has that worlds save loaded
this sounds hard but you can do it in under a day like i did

Is this kinda like Construction Room saves? I’d look into what they did for that (idk what Construction Room uses)