Save / Load your Terrain & Map

Map Saver / Loader

Ever wanted to save your terrain and/or buildings? If yes, this is for you.
> Plugin

Instruction

Saving

1. Press the save plugin icon.

(Remember, clear the map beforehand)

1. Select the map Folder you’d like to load

2. Press the load plugin icon.

Features
  • Saves/Loads Terrain
    Material Properties
    Water Properties

• Saves/Loads Map

Credits
  • Icons8 (website) for Plugin/Save/Load royalty free icons.
  • Inspiration
  • Me (scripted the asset)

Uses

Saving terrain with map data, such as trees onto terrain. Roblox already offers a save to Roblox/file functionality though I believe this should be a plugin as you may need the Map for Rotation based games, etc.

Terms & Services & Source Code

12 Likes

Correct me if Im wrong, you can already right click the terrain in Workspace and select export selections and save it on your hard drive.

Hi Historical,
you aren’t wrong, Roblox offers a nice saving feature though as the “Uses” section states, people require to save Terrain with/out building Instance data in folders.

This asset would be used in games that use map rotations, Roblox’s save feature is only useful in studio. There are other use cases that arise, I’d just leave this up as it’s superior to any alternative plugins offered due to the simplicity & newer techniques that allow better performance.

1 Like

This would be very useful to me actually! Since I’m working on the most realistic Roblox flight simulator, this would be useful, thank you for creating this plugin. :smiley:

I’m glad you like this plugin (:

In the case you have constructive criticism or feature requests, feel free to request. I usually respond to them during the publicization period.

1 Like

Nice plugin, but how is this different from Sleitnick’s Terrain Save and Load plugin? I saw it was part of your inspiration for this plugin, but the original one can be used dynamically in-game as well. The source code, I mean.

I happened to be fixing up my post when you sent this, hence the quick reply.

I’ve dissected his plugin and it contains plenty code that doesn’t have to be there (promises, roact, etc).
Neither can his plugin save Terrain & buildings at the same time & it uses outdated/disapproved scripting practices. Many times you want a game with terrain & building, not just terrain data.

Summed up my saving/loading methods offer more functionality, are safer & more performant.

1 Like

Update

This asset has cleared the conceptual phase. Code & Terms of Service are present through this link.

1 Like

can’t agree on roact and promises being unnecessary. why do you figure that?

Is there any way to save sections of terrain individually using your plugin or any one elses?

I could make that a future update. Currently, this feature is not present in my Plug-in & I’m not aware anyone else made a plug-in that can replicate what you want.

There are always better ways to do things. You do you.