Save users location

What would the best way to be to save a users location every time he disconnects? The Character is removed so you couldn’t use that.

3 Likes

Not at home to test, but see if when PlayerRemoving is called the Character still exists. If it does, just get the position of the root part.

2 Likes

Yeah, its not there.

1 Like

You could keep a loop that stores the users location every second or something. such as

local locations = {}

while wait(1) do
  for _,player in pairs(game.Players:GetChildren()) do 
    if player and player.Character and player.Character.Parent ~= nil then
      locations[player] = player.Character.Torso.Position
    end
  end
end

game.Players.PlayerRemoving:connect(function(player)
  local lastlocation = locations[player]
  locations[player] = nil -- garbage collection
end)

You may have to ensure the player is on the map though

4 Likes

Write to a table every step (or whatever other interval) where the character’s position is. Don’t write if the character is nil. Have the keys be player IDs. When a player joins, see if their ID is in the table.

I was thinking of doing a loop. I’d be doing this with datastore so that example wouldn’t really work.

On the playerremoving event, just save the data at that point, as you have the location, or access it on your datastore area, just ensure you dont set the table index to nil before getting it

Ah. True, I’ll try implementing this in a few moments here and I’ll let you know the feedback.

I imagine this would equally be possible by listening for DescendantRemoving because you’ll still be able to read the relevant property out of the Instance (e.g. HumanoidRootPart).

4 Likes

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/Player/CharacterRemoving

-> Check for HumanoidRootPart, save CFrame or Position X, Y and Z values

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/Players/PlayerRemoving

-> Save the aforementioned values to a data store via a table

Don’t know if a combination of all this would work but hey, worth a try?

1 Like

you could watch for changes in position of the humanoid root part, and save it when the player’s removed

local DataStore = game:GetService("DataStoreService"):GetDataStore("test")
wait(1)
print(DataStore:GetAsync("last"))
print(DataStore:GetAsync("time"))

local lastPos = Vector3.new(0,0,0)

game.Players.PlayerAdded:connect(function(plr)
	plr.CharacterRemoving:Connect(function(char)
		lastPos = char.HumanoidRootPart.Position
	end)
end)

game.Players.PlayerRemoving:Connect(function(plr)
	DataStore:SetAsync("last",tostring(lastPos))
	DataStore:SetAsync("time",tostring(tick()))
end)

game:BindToClose(function()
	wait(3)
end)

This code will save your last position (I tested multiple times and it didnt fail a single time)
image (Position before i left)
-0.0158325434, 3.23737574, 6.74493551 (position printed by datastore (players position shifted a tiny bit cause of the idle animation)
You would obviously change this up to have some kind of table storing the positions for each player.

7 Likes

I’d recommend using Character.HumanoidRootPart rather than UpperTorso, as HumanoidRootPart is compatible and present in both R6 and R15; UpperTorso, however, is only present in R15.

Thanks, fixed it!