Saving a place locally and then saving it to the Roblox cloud will quietly not work

Open a local file.
Make some changes and do Ctrl + S.
The place will save locally.

Do File > Save to Roblox As afterwards.
The place will not save.

The only indication that this has happened is a completely silent message in the output. Studio needs to put these messages in toast popups or a window or something. This is not acceptable at all.
RobloxStudioBeta_2023-07-13_19-30-59

Expected behavior

The place should save in both cases even if there are no changes because the save-to target is different. If I am saving a game to multiple place slots, or local files, etc. Studio should always save it.

This has given me a scare twice now.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report! I filed a ticket in our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

Hey @PeZsmistic
Sorry to hear that. Do you mind telling me what you tried to File > Save to Roblox As to? Was it a new game, an existing game, etc?

I tried your steps just now and I couldn’t reproduce your error when saving to a new game nor different existing game nor the same existing game.

I was saving to an existing rbxl place file on my hard drive, the same one that I had opened from the studio start screen.

I believe the complete workflow was as follows:

Launch studio, open the game from one of the recent tiles (cloud copy of the game), do some changes, save it to a local file that already exists, do more changes, do Ctrl S to save to the same local file, then Save to Roblox As over the same game that was initially opened.

I’ll review my studio settings and repro steps when I’m home.

1 Like

Here is a video of me reproducing the issue, sent privately.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/files-for-saving-a-place-locally-and-then-saving-it-to-the-roblox-cloud-will-quietly-not-work/2491308

1 Like

This is still happening. Is there anything else you need?

Hey everyone! I just pinged the engineers. We’ll be having the discussion over here, this is a duplicate. Going to close it out.