Saving large place in XML Format (with repro steps)

When I save a place in XML format (*.rbxlx) in studio the mouse pointer turns into a busy spinning circle and never reverts to the default arrow.
I expect instead that when the save operation is complete, the mouse pointer reverts from the circle to the arrow.
This happens invariably when saving a large place in xml format.
Reproduction steps:

1. Open Roblox studio
  2. Click the Baseplate template to start a new Baseplate place
  3. In the command bar, execute the following line of code:
    for i=1,2000 do game.Workspace.Baseplate:Clone().Parent = game.Workspace end
  4. Press ctrl-s to open the “Save as” dialog
  5. Give the place a name and change the “save as type” to “Roblox XML Place Files(*.rbxlx)”
  6. Click “Save”
    The mouse pointer now turns into the busy spinning circle and while in studio, will never revert.

This happens in Windows 7 and has been happening for years, maybe even since the non-xml file format was introduced.
This happens even with plugins disabled.

4 Likes

Can confirm, this happens on Windows 10 too. The file saves but it locks up Studio indefinitely.

1 Like

This bug has the unpleasant side effect of making studio difficult to work in. For instance, it’s not possible to reliably resize tool windows because there is no visual cue that you are hovering over the resize bar. So instead you may start inadvertently dragging the tool window to another location. It is frustrating.