Say "Hello" to Display Names!

As I read through this, I’m still confused on this whole thing and how it’s gonna work out.

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about this as a lot of people have already stated this opens a door to impersonation and I feel like the limits on DisplayNames should be a bit more stringent. Perhaps force DisplayNames to be similar to usernames and find some way to make usernames easily accessible.

My proposed compromise is this; allow all users to hide DisplayNames of others so they can see usernames. This option could be toggled through settings.

4 Likes

The issue of accounts being sold will never be resolved for tons of reasons, and the people who take advantage of this could get into trouble too and get reported. Developers could easily make an in game filter for names and could send a report to ROBLOX.

3 Likes

I was well aware about this issue, I still think there’s better ways of handling this problem.

3 Likes

This will be a great opportunity for those who cannot change their username because they do not have robux, personally I think there will be quite a few impersonations, I hope they are taken into account.

Although I have some doubts

Is there no limit beyond waiting 7 days to change the name?

Will you have to verify your email in order to change it?

Will there be any extras for having the Premium subscription?

I am very happy with this new feature! :smiley:

3 Likes

Maybe a system similar to discord would work better :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Developers should not be in charge of moderating Roblox’s feature, that is up to Roblox.

3 Likes

This honestly seems like a pretty disappointing feature. Not looking forward to this. Many worrying things I can think that this would bring off the top of my head include:

• Impersonation
  • Filter bypassed names (including swears, slurs, and the like)
  • How you would find a player from their display name, assuming multiple users can have the same one
  • Unimportance of regular usernames
  • Basically following the same rules as regular usernames
    I really hope ROBLOX reconsiders this, I’ve been through many horrible updates to this platform in my 8 years, and I’m not looking forward to this either.
10 Likes

This seems like a good idea on paper, but can lead to some issues, like players impersonating Roblox admins, or some cuss words getting bypassed making it so younger players will see some no-no words. but some upsides are like people not whining about the poke drama, or some cringe names being changed. but a lot of players on Roblox have some malicious intent. so its better to A: be locked behind a pay wall, or B: make it so it has to be put under review for the next 12 hours. Option A is pretty bad, but it was the only thing I could think of. Please put these factors into consideration @Roblox

2 Likes

It’s going to be smooth overall. As for the technical part, new separate classes are being added which doesn’t break the functionality of current games, and it would be up to a developer if they want to address a player by their DisplayName or their username. If you have not touched your DisplayName already, then it would just be what your username is. Nothing is being removed or changed here, it’s just a transition of adding in something new to the name system.

3 Likes

Well, adding tags/identifier numbers to roblox would be unnecessary considering they could add verification or just cancel this update completely.

Agreed, but there will most likely be filters to this feature so there is honestly no need to worry, and Bypassed names could easily get reported by anyone.

1 Like

This seems like a great update but…

This comes with the risk of people impersonating

• Game devs / contributors
  • Traders
  • Youtubers / Streamers not in the star program
  • and others

I seriously hope this comes alongside a verification system.
Also please if you do add a verification system, do not treat it as an endorsement system. There are people out there who did messed up things but that doesn’t mean they should be prone to impersonators.

4 Likes

This is a good update, at first you would think impersonation would be a problem but you can still just check their username.

True, I was thinking more of something like this; Roblox resets a players username after they go inactive for a certain amount of time (years) like I mentioned earlier in this discussion. There’s obviously gonna be rules and exceptions to this

Well … Roblox will leave the normal usernames, so I think it will remain the same when looking for a user.

1 Like

This still doesn’t help when it comes to framing, and I’m sure little kids in-game playing on a mobile device wouldn’t check their profile.

5 Likes

Roblox is rich, they are already getting more money from the new fee for clothing. They don’t need money from username changes.

1 Like

How do you change your display name? I don’t see any option in the account info page other than changing my username the traditional way…

In a game it would be extremely clunky to show a player’s display name and username above them, and they probably wouldn’t do that. If they put it for example on the leaderboard by clicking a player’s name or by going to the player list in the menu, it would go often overlooked. Many people would just remember a player’s name by looking at their display name above their head, and have trouble finding that player later.

1 Like