Say "Hello" to Display Names!

It has yet to be implemented. It states in the post that it will be released throughout the platform over the next few months.

It’s not released yet, as shown by the OP.

1 Like

I don’t confirm if he’s rich, but if they keep putting free features and players stop spending robux, it will be a loss for roblox.

Money for username changes is necessary if not people could abuse username changes to their like you could snipe as many usernames which just makes it harder to have a decent username.

1 Like

I think you’re forgetting ROBLOX is a company, and money is a big priority. That’s the main reason tix were removed, to make more money from people purchasing Robux.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about this before, and it’s honestly a game of ethics. Resetting/terminating accounts after X time may seem like a good idea, but it creates the idea of “play to keep your account.”

1 Like

Good feature, gonna love to see this.

1 Like

I’m not saying remove the fee all together – I’m saying the company [most likely] doesn’t need the money from it.

It’s quite interesting to see such a large divide for a new possible feature, I hope Roblox considers the community’s opinions.

Finally, the update many people have been wanting for months is out. I do think impersonation will be a small issue, but I’m sure they’ll be ways to limit the impersonating. However, Premium is kind of useless now, maybe to add to Premium benefits, the Display Name change time limit could be decreased a bit?

1 Like

Fair enough, it still could fix many problems though.

Hmm that’s true but how will it be solved then?

Although in the leaderboard may use the actual usernames. (I think)

I dislike being the one out here who always has to dislike these updates but, idk about this one. I feel like someone copied discord’s user-feature and totally forgot about impersonation. I don’t know if an automated filter works because, you can use a different font and completely evade the filter.

In addition, I think we should’ve just kept the system as it was now. I feel like this area being touched creates a lot more issues and bad UX than, just staying the same for all it’s worth. I also dislike the fact that people are saying, lets get verified in place. Seems way too elitist for my tastes.

Part of me is like “woohoo no more people thinking I was born in 2003” and the other part of me was like, “well uhhhh idk about this one”.

4 Likes

I’m not forgetting. I’m just saying that the company is pretty rich and they most likely wouldn’t be putting out this feature if they didn’t have extra money to spend/lose.

I do admit, it would, but it would turn into another race of name sniping.

CC: @nachowars21

Roblox has professional financial advisors and have access to statistics we don’t. It’s most likely a safe financial move. Don’t worry about Roblox’s finances, worry about your own’s.

4 Likes

This is hugely concerning. We already see tons of impersonation on Discord where you don’t see the #0000 code of players in the chat.

On Roblox where the stakes are even higher, you’ll have people giving information to impersonators pretending to be the developer of a popular game. This already happens with similar usernames (Ban_Tech) for example, but having the exact same name displayed in-game and in all places other than your profile is honestly terrible.

I don’t see how the benefits even begin to outweigh the disadvantages. Maybe for relatively unknown individual players where their identity is not as important (though I’d argue everyone’s identity is important) but not for popular users or game developers and influencers. Star creators get a badge on the playerlist, so at least they are relatively safe, but most developers don’t have that, and not all developers of a game are marked as the owner or have edit perms and therefore won’t get the “developer” icon in the playerlist.

It’s unreasonable to expect young users to go to someone’s profile to verify their identity when they’re in a game, and they are most likely to be affected by an impersonator.

It essentially forces people to make their own verification system, such as in our game where we have to colour the text chat from moderators to prevent impersonation by others. This change makes it even more necessary to mess around with the default chat and I certainly won’t be using DisplayName for important purposes where impersonation is likely.

14 Likes

True a yearly name free change would be delightful.
Well the more money roblox earns the better the user experience becomes.

1 Like

Just showing a player’s username in the leaderboard would be a bad idea, as it would be difficult to match a username to a display name, especially because your avatar is not shown in the leaderboard.

This idea is really cool BUT there should be a way for developer’s either with a place visit amount or in the Dev Ex program to be verified in a way kinda like twitter’s system/the star system. What if Developers could actually be verified and have a checkmark or atleast some type of icon like Star program so there are no imposters. Also I think display names should allow spaces at most since it makes the idea of display names nearly useless in my opinion.