Say "Hello" to Display Names!

As many other people have said before me this will most likely be used for impersonation, scammers will use this to impersonate reputable people e.g. Roblox staff.
It’s a good idea on paper but when put into practice will cause a multitude of problems.

1 Like

oh my god this is a awesome feature to be honest i just loved it. i loved this new concept it will be really helpful. like omg its amazing

No because displayname is in the Player.DisplayName property and admin scripts use Player.Name which is the actual username.

They probably already have a solution for this.

I hope so, if they do the really should list it in the announcement, because we are being left in the dark.

Hey guys I think they are aware of potential impersonation issues given how many times its been brought up, but that’s just what I think

I think that covers it. Unless that’s just me.

As be_nj said, Display Names are not unique and multiple people can have the same display name, the only unique thing is your actual username.

Yes, probably you’ll be able too, they’re also probably gonna make a system of banned names to stop impersonating

As the post states you won’t be able to put emojis, different letters, spaces etc… you can find the person by searching their @ , basically its a second name: same rules , same everything

Yes, people using Display names will have their real name under the display name (@.example under Example :roblox_light:) , so if you see someone with a @ under their name in game and probably in site, means that they have display names.
And according to some images, the @ will be darker than the display username.

As i said before, it has the same rules as normal usernames, 3 is the minimum and 20 is the maximum

These are all the answers i could bring to you, hope it helps :derp:

1 Like

I think roblox should add a setting for games. If enabled Display names don`t appear, it would be usefull for games with young community
Even if you a anti-impersionation filtler would be added it would be easily bypassed by using invisible/very small characters

1 Like

can you put a display name that is already taken?

I think thats the whole purpose of display names.

1 Like

Yes, you can have the same display name as your friend and you can have a display name which is the same as a random person

example: i could name myself “KreekCraft” and it would let me do it, then i would see another kreekcraft in the chat, so i look in his @.username and see his real username

2 Likes

The only reason I’d have a complaint with this is if the users handle wasn’t extremely easily accessible (displayed as a subtitle under the display name on characters, shown on the leaderboard/on a players mini profile section) for an assortment of reasons. The way twitter handles it for example is perfect.

If that’s already taken care of, this sounds great for the most part in my opinion!

I do agree with everyone talking about impersonation though, because Roblox has a long history of not reading reports (of which I still have many unbanned examples) and an equally long history of nearly the entire playerbase being very gullible to basic scams/phishing attempts. Even if a users handle was easily seen next to the display name, I’m certain an absurdly large portion of kids will fall for fake ROBLOX/Builderman/[Insert popular dev or youtuber] type display names. Even if a basic name check existed, there’s still gonna be robLox, buiiderman, and many other simple filter evasions.

Overall, one of the least terrible updates in a very long time.

They should add a “Verified” icon next to “important” people.
Like star creators, Famous developers, anyone who uses DevEx, Admins etc…
It could be like this

the icon would be different, probably the logo of roblox but with a check symbol

2 Likes

some people could probably use a utf checkmark not many people would fall for it
but some would

They said that you can’t use “different” letters, only 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 “_” and the alphabet

2 Likes

Is this going to be mandatory? I do not want to include this in my game as it will make in game moderation more difficult. Most exploiters / cheaters will just leave the server when they see a moderator join their server, if they are using a DisplayName it will be considerably harder to track down their UserId.

I know that this has been mentioned a million times already but impersonation is a huge flaw, hopefully something will be put in place to stop this.

3 Likes

Overall I am excited for this feature. My name - both old and new - were three letters and unique (“Xan”, and more recently “Eti”). Getting these names was something I thought was impossible. Or illegal. With this new feature on the horizon, I’m very excited at the possibility of running around with one of these short and simple names.

As far as the people worried about impersonation goes? Typical excessive worry. Roblox is going to display @Username alongside display names as part of the update, and unless people have the mental capacity of a rock, they will easily be able to verify that someone is real. Look at Twitter. There’s impersonation accounts everywhere. A minimal amount of people fall for them. Most people play along with the joke, in fact.

If I get 1000 people with the name “Eti” running around going “haha look at me im a big dumby xddd brain smooth lol xd”, ok? Worst case scenario I get a message or two saying something about it. Most people will back off once they realize what they saw was fake, and if they don’t, the person’s probably a waste of your time anyway.

The only thing I anticipate is that this makes username changes more impactful on your identity, because the thing people memorize to see “is this the real guy?” changes on them.

4 Likes

My concern about this is security wise, and I’m wondering if you could have multiple people with the same display name; wouldn’t this kind of clutter everything, unless you had the actual username? I also don’t want to know what it would be like to be someone famous and have 6 people impersonating you in the same server. Despite that, I like the idea of the feature, it just has some security concerns with people around the community.

1 Like

I feel this could be a really fun and well made update if done correctly, however, the main issue everyone is currently on is impersonation, I’d suggest having some form of small difference between display and usernames, for example a hue colour for display names or being allowed to set a colour for display names but having regular usernames set as gray/black/white as normal.
Its not a massive hurt towards the feature and I feel it’d be a good way to difference a username from a display name for newer or younger players.

2 Likes