Say "Hello" to Display Names!

This will be the update of chaos, so many people will pretend to be YouTubers and so many kids will get scammed so much easier, please think of the bad side of this not the good side.

3 Likes

Yeah, seems a bit of a downside to this feature

3 Likes

I honestly don’t like this update. I can think of more negatives than positives.

3 Likes

Do you have to be in the beta program to have early access to this?

1 Like

I’m excited, maybe one of the best Roblox features in the last few years but there’s a problem… Many people will name famous people to impersonate their identity. I think a serious solution is that we can’t name famous people or maybe add a verified system.

1 Like

Impersonating won’t be a thing just because you can always check player’s real username.

Actually, emojis and other unicode characters are useless in my opinion.

To solve impersonating and emojis problem, I think you should include at least one emoji/unicode character that can’t be used in username.

1 Like

Exactly, the display names has to have a verified system like official youtubers could have a checkmark to their display name or something similar to that maybe?

Giving it numerous read throughs, I’d also like it to be toggleable on website too via the Settings Panel.
If I were to go onto a profile, I want to see the Unique Username with their Display name being in the ALIAS section instead of replacing the actual username and not akin to Twitter handles.

3 Likes

Wait, when player join game i create a folder in ServerStorage to hold his data there and i name a folder with Player.Name. I must change it to Player.DisplayName? Or Player.Name will still work and will identify players @ name? I’m a bit confused right now.

5 Likes

Exactly, but they should also add a verification symbol to developers similar to video star

1 Like

It’ll still work, but you’ll have to write custom leaderboards and custom chats in place of the default ones to display the REAL Username instead.

DisplayName is just another string property/attribute of the Player and Humanoid.

It’s just terrible to work with overall and this update kills my interest of continuing to develop on ROBLOX.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’d still remain the same as always, Player.Name

2 Likes

Is this feature going to replace the “Change Username” feature, or will it be a separate thing? I mean that as, will users still be able to change both their username and their display name?

It’ll be separate from changing the username itself. Like an alias, basically.

1 Like

Idea! Instead having all new accounts have access to the display name update when it releases, maybe users that are over 100 days old of account age could only access the update? That could prevent some scamming. Also since scams takes over kids account the display name feature could be also to 13+ users?

1 Like

I feel like trying to use an account restriction wouldn’t help those who want to use the feature with purely good intent. Restricting stuff like this is definitely not the way to do it but making it both optional for developers and users to both work with and see would be a far better system than what they have currently planned.

This does pose it’s own questions and concerns and is quite monumental to the Roblox community, while it may bog down on people’s creativity in regards to getting a username, I understand it’s for the better overall.
But in the chat for example, let’s say two people had the display name of “Pancake” would it also show their actual username right next to the alias like “Pancake@Dogeclipse” in the chat or would the chat call one “Pancake(1)” and the other "Pancake(2)? I’m just wondering how you can quickly identify which “Pancake” you are talking to.

I’m pretty sure it’d be “Pancake @Dogeclipse

1 Like

It might be a good idea since it’s usually the kids who most impersonate identities. The problem is that many children will want to use the function properly and will not be able to. I think so far the best options would be to add a verified system or you can not put names to show celebrity

1 Like

I think something should be done about it inside of games to avoid “impersonation” and people need to report exploiters to the developers and we have no way of knowing who is who as we will only see the display name from the screenshot/video. Can you please address something will be done about this? Maybe take on KreekCraft’s idea of “verification system” and verify big youtubers and developers to stop scams and to make sure we know who is who.

In other word I do like this new feature, but please listen to us and fix some issue’s we can experience from this.

1 Like