Say "Hello" to Display Names!

I’m pretty sure not since Humanoids already have a Display Name property and they’ve probably thought of that

1 Like

This update is cool and all but there would be huge concerns about impersonation. I could join a game with the name “Shedletsky” and convince noobs, who don’t know any better, to go to an untrusted source, or something else.

How would you prevent this from getting out of hand?

It may be to prevent spam changing it to prevent moderation action

I’d say its good, since Roblox is growing overwhelmingly fast. Is the display name going to be shown in game when a player clicks on their user? How will we deal with fake users acting like known users today? (Developers, Content Creators, etc.) And most importantly, will this be introduced to new users on the platform to a UI asking to select their display name, or will it be a manual thing?

Overall I think it’s a ok update, wouldn’t say its a new great one though.

They should add something like this DisplayName(@username) then it wont be a problem

As shown many times before in this discussion, usernames will still be clearly visible. While I can’t speak about the chat, it is very likely it’ll receive some changes to accommodate for these changes too.

I love this, I can’t wait for it come out!

That’s very problematic since most of the players play from mobile devices.
In other words, there isn’t any leader board to show staff/ star creators Icon.

I hope there will be a solution to this :grimacing:

2 Likes

The feature is great but people can now make scam games easily or impersonate popular influencers, or even Roblox Staff.

Also, display names follow the same rules as normal usernames, which makes it a bit useless for me.

I think you should make it so the DisplayName is over the Player’s name. That would at least stop the impersonators a bit.

This is gonna be a great update, I am excited for this.

As shown before, the username will still be clearly visible in places such as the playerlist.

While I do absolutely love this feature, are there any plans to implement a verification system for developers of known/popular games? As of right now, a player could easily set their display name to Noble_Draconian, and there would be nothing stopping them from impersonating me unless someone clicks through a few UI elements to verify it’s actually me - which most players/people won’t do.

If such a verified system is planned, how does one get verified? Will there be a little checkmark next to display names or something of verified developers?

Now this is epic although now I feel it was a waste of how ever much robux we spent on usernames, which now you can do it for free and it covers your real username. I think that this is really great for new players but for us users that have spent so much on usernames we should at least get our robux back or something since now our usernames arent that important in game.

2 Likes

Will the beta program users get the feature first? You don’t seem to be using the beta program for much and only rolling it out to random users who will only complain on twitter instead of reporting it on the DevForum or to roblox directly

2 Likes

What if the developer hides the playerlist or other places that shows the real username?

1 Like

Well, I have a lot to say.

First of all, now our usernames can be ‘used’ by others. I can’t even stress how annoying this is to me. I don’t want to join a game and see another ‘chainedrxses’ or another ‘Iostrxses’ or even another ‘9OsLove’! My user is personal to me, and I spent hours thinking and thinking of my own username. So now that other players may see others with the same display names as our usernames is just annoying.

Second off, think of all those that are going to impersonate famous people. For one, I think you should make it so people can’t make a star creators name your display name. I don’t even want to think about how many ‘mrflimflam’ and ‘NotLeah’ (just some examples I thought of) there are gonna be in one server! But even if you protect star creators, think of all the famous devs that can get impersonated.

I think this deserves it’s own paragraph, so here we go. Adopt me scammers might make their display name, for say, ‘NewFissy’ and robux scams a roblox staff/influencer! Then, when it pops up in the chat, it will show as that. Think of how many people will actually fall for that then. Gullible people and the younger audience on roblox won’t know any better. They fall for it enough as is, but are much more likely too if they see the user is of someone big.

This update also defeats the purpose of changing your user. I have changed my user 3 times now. Honestly, I changed it not even 2 weeks ago in honor of a song I love. And now you tell me that there is going to be a way to change your display name just temporarily? Come on now, I just wasted my 1000 robux, and will waste the 1000 when I change back to my usual username. Watch as sales of username changes go significantly down.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

13 Likes

Looks like roblox is actually going to be twitter

I feel like this would be cool and all but certain games already have a username based system so I feel like this is pretty useless. I mean it would be a good addition to the website but mainly developers would have the option of making their own username system so now if a player joins a game with a username system they would have 3 names which could be confusing. But nice work none the less

1 Like

It’ll be still visible in the escape menu, which contains a playerlist of its own.

It wouldn’t since there saying its not a permanent username. You can change it to the same name as some one else since it wouldn’t matter since you still have your @ username.

1 Like