Say "Hello" to Display Names!

My honest opinion:

This is the worst update Roblox has published.
This is just going to make everything confusing, it’s going to allow re-uploaders to look a tiny bit more ligit, and it’s going to let members of my games pretend to be admins.

I really hope that Roblox adds this nickname as a player property, I.E:

game.Players.Player1 --A player
game.Players.Player1.Name --Odviously the players name, as it has always been.
game.Players.Player1.Nickname -- I hope they add this so we can tell them apart...

Also hoping roblox adds a setting for “Remove Nickname Usage”, I.E:

game.Chat.DefaultToNickNames = true --When off, nicknames are not displayed in chat at all.

This update is a bad idea, and if this isn’t added at least, I’d be very afraid for the future of roblox, and scammers.

1 Like

Not surprised, Flamingo posted a video showing how easy it is for regular players to impersonate and fall for impersonations with these display names:

Additionally, SharkBlox posted a video about display names as well, mentioning of a tweet made by @asimo3089 essentially discussing how difficult this update will make for developers

6 Likes

Personally I don’t need Display names are gonna make exploit reports harder at all. Now if you do have a default leaderboard and chat maybe but for us games using custom stuff it doesn’t affect us much as we have more control over the names. For my system I have it showing the raw display name then if they hover it shows the real name + for extra support I plan on having a setting in client that the user can use to fully disable DisplayNames and only show raw usernames.

Most people are just over complicating things.

my opinion is that this is a nice quality of life update:
This Is a really nice update Coming from someone whos username isn’t the greatest. This Will allow people to customize their names to whatever they whatever they want (Mostly) and is free. Good roblox usernames have been harder to get over the years so this is a step in the right direction for Roblox. This is a solution for the problem of usernames getting harder and harder to get over the years that is simple and effective. ROBLOX will most likely find a way to deal with the imposters trying to abuse this system. This isn’t an end of the world scenario and Shouldn’t be treated like one. A solution to this could be a review system where mods could review a display name that is requested . If its denied no one at all can use it, if it is accepted then anyone can use it without having to go through the review. Devs/Influencers/Important people could request a blockage on a name to prevent impersonation, Roblox could recognize these people for availability to this privilege . This shouldn’t be available to the general public because players could intentionally try to block off popular names and ruin the feature. This Would make getting a display name way easier because most people will want a single word/phase as their display name and help moderation prevent Bypasses/Imposters.
In Conclusion
This is a great feature that could be improved with some extra moderation

I’m almost certain he’s being excessive, Display names won’t be hard to get around in exploit reports, you probably won’t even need to change lines of code because theres already a display names variable, I don’t see any reason for him to say that at all.

but people are people so /shrug

1 Like

It Looks Like a Very Great Update but here’s some Problems

1. Impersonation
    I’ve Found a Way to Fix is is to add a Username and Display name all Together (Kinda Like Twitter)
    this Will Fix any of This Impersonation Problems that Everyone’s discussing
13 Likes

This is a good and easy fix but it kind of clutters the space above the players head which may cause some players to not use it due to there being more text that obstructs vision and looks less neat.
The @ username text could be scaled down a bit because it does not look right in this demonstration.

6 Likes

I hope to use this feature soon excluding the fact that it promotes impersonation

i think i’m just gonna resort to making a custom leaderboard and the sorts just so display names wont annoy me when handling future player reports

I feel like this is a great update, although this can be bad because of scammers, impersonation, etc.

1 Like

This was Only a Test of the Current Roblox Naming Feature Not sure if Roblox Will do this

1 Like

It may cause some problems but at least not every player will be named something like kgsdgagfas anymore.

1 Like

People can have the same display names, you know that, right?

This is not the worst update, roblox may act irrational sometimes or like half the time, banning innocents etc, but I’m sure they’re not gonna leave the update as it is, updates will be coming to help, you obviously don’t know about other updates that gave happened and tbh, I don’t know or forgot about a lot, but it’s not that bad

1 Like

It looks like all the people changing their country and VPN to Germany or something else stopped. That is because all the display names have been removed from the website? I don’t understand Roblox anymore.

If display name was available on every country, no one would use VPN only for the display name

Yes but they are gone for now :sleepy:

Roblox is going to lose so much money by doing this update and I’m not surprised if they are going to remove it because you’re spending 1000 Robux to update your username, hundreds of players are buying Robux just to do this but this display username update is literally going to change things because who’s gonna update their username anymore? This also makes having unique usernames totally irrelevant and the moderation aspect of impersonators is just going to be a nightmare.
Personally don’t think this is a good update.

1 Like

This update is at the same time good (for players) and bad (for Roblox admins)
It’s good because players can change his name for free (very useful for poor players that want change his name)
And bad because it brings impersonation easier, harder moderation and Roblox will win a bit less money

I think it will still be added because this update is comfirmed

I’m not sure about this update, I think it’s been extremely poorly implemented.

What’s wrong with this:
Going forward there will most likely be lots of staff impersonations using things like chat bypasses when in game, even if you put filters on what users can name themselves. Just by looking at a player in game, it’s unclear whether the name is their real name or not. I do understand that you can just check the player list to see if they are using a display name but there is also no way to know who the player you are looking at is (when this feature is used with it’s default settings).

How this could be improved:
Although I believe that removing this feature altogether would be the best thing to do, I understand that Roblox probably won’t consider this so here are some things that could be done to make display names a better feature.

• By default setting the Humanoid.DisplayName to Player.Name and giving developers the option to use it rather than the option not to use it not to use it.
  • Putting a player’s username under their humanoid’s display name in smaller size like I’ve seen in some roleplaying games which use their own custom displayname feature, this would allow people to see who they are talking to and make it harder for people to scam using chat bypassed admin names.
1 Like