Say "Hello" to Display Names!

DisplayNames have to be one of the best updates for impersonators. This is a huge problem. Anyone could change their DisplayName to anything. In one of Flamingo’s latest videos, he uses the DisplayNames feature. He then creates and Alt Account and impersonates as his main account.

You guys could avoid this by making them have to make their DisplayName somewhat like their Username to avoid impersonation.

(Video Link: Roblox display names are out... uh oh - YouTube)

Make it so on your game configuration page you can have the option to use display names in your game. I see this not a feature and it should be a configured option! @be_nj @DevRelationsTeam

1 Like

me

Yeah I agree though…I’m thinking of ways to “fix” this for my game(s)

For add more security, we can also add a system that when someone change his display name, it will request the display names to the staff team
If it’s accepted, the display name is saved, if it’s denied, the display name will go back to normal (it will be the same than the username)

This wouldn’t really work since with a feature this big, staff would have to be analyzing millions of requests every day.

Now another question is,

What will happen to leaderboards? I’m guessing you would use the profile name but could we make an option whether you can change your leaderboard name to your display name. I know you can get into a lot of trouble for changing the names on leaderboards

Also with this current feature, will there be a GetDisplayNameFromUserIdAsync() along with this?

1 Like

Really, it should if you want to opt-out of display names in your game under the configuration tab. @be_nj Please really consider this!!

Just use player.name instead of player.DisplayName

a way of fixing this kids getting scammed stuff is to give access to people who are over 13+ on rblox
if they gave false bday information it will be on them like people under 13+ wont be able to see the display names if you know what im saying

I feel like 13+ might abuse it more than <13s

2 Likes

One of the best updates in my opinion. Love it!

1 Like

yes but people above 13+ who are a victim of getting scam will have a idea of if he/she is using a display name

1 Like

Developers have been more than deserving of a verified system for so long now. Youtubers have a little star, why don’t developers get anything? :confused:

2 Likes

Me too it will be my favorite update
I wanted change my name, but I don’t have enough robux

Exploit reports are done by in-game screenshots and videos taken by players. The game doesn’t visually show the real username. It’s only showing the DisplayName. Majority of players don’t know to click the leaderboard for the real name. Some reports don’t even have the leaderboard in shot.

We’re considering a few ways to go about this -including but not limited to- a custom leaderboard/chat so players can actually see what’s going on. I think Roblox should really offer something to all games though. Players are already tricked into giving up passwords or other sensitive information. Fake usernames are only going to make this scarier (in my opinion!).

I totally see the appeal of DisplayNames, I just think we need more clarity that it’s just a fake name.

21 Likes

Yeah this could be a problem, maybe if someone has a Display Name, on the leaderboard, the name could be a different color to show they have a display name.

3 Likes

Agreed . Now hackers can get away with scams and all that easily by changing their display name in a week

2 Likes

It would do so for Star Creators, but not for the general public, which can be an irritant.

1 Like

I think we can fix this problem if we can see his username in the player list, it would be writen smaller and in light gray

1 Like

20210219_123811

6 Likes