Say "Hello" to Display Names!

In my eyes, this update will either go obsolete or ruin several games. Either one of these things will happen:

A) Just like the emotes update, it will fade into obscurity because no self respecting game developer will enable this in their game. Very, very few games will have this feature available.

B) Exploit reports, as already mentioned in the thread, will become misleading or impossible to make out; if an exploiter was to impersonate any given player, the original user would be banned in place. On another hand, if you could set your display name as something like 金刚鹦鹉, მაკაო, or الببغاء you would have no idea how to even type it out. There’s a reason why the entire site uses a simple, universal font, and that’s the reason why it works so well.

My humble suggestion would be to allow special keyboard symbols from the back tick to the plus sign, spaces and nothing more. Additionally, a setting for all users to toggle to be allowed to keep their username original. This would help solve impersonation on all fronts and allow users to use the names of dead accounts - which won’t enable that setting, ever.

3 Likes

With this, we can see who impersonate ROBLOX
We can see usernames

1 Like

I know but the @DevRelationsTeam people should just make it a option to have it toggled in your game (do if it’s toggled off it’ll be not using displaynames and it’d show regular username stuff, including leaderboard) but DevRel should do that tho

Personally, I do think impersonation is an issue. That has been made VERY clear by the developers here. I do look forward to this update though. For the people who will use this for good, this can be used to make more avatars with matching names. Example:

If someone wants to “cosplay” as a character from a game, show, book, etc, then they can set their display name to that.

Example of poor usage of display names:

Someone is attempting to scam younger audiences in lets say… Adopt me. They can change their name to a popular youtuber by bypassing the system, such as writing their name out as mrflimflam, but with an upper case I instead of an L. Most of the time, the younger audiences will believe this and fall for the trap.

In conclusion, I am awaiting this update with excitement so that the people with good intentions can use this to improve their time on ROBLOX.

6 Likes

If you’re experiencing pain with catching exploiters then:
just make a good exploit that does some cframe stuff

and if some random guy with an impropriate display name appears then:
just make a display name blacklist lol
using Player.DisplayName

1 Like

Devs got RDC, and star creators got little fashion christmas toys and don’t have RDC.
Isn’t that enough for us though?

By the way I think a toggle is a bad idea. It’d be so confusing to the player to have a different visible name depending on the game they’re in. It’d be especially confusing when playing with friends.

I think the best solution is to either show both names, or make it clear that the name you’re seeing is a nickname.

19 Likes

Star creators have VidCon. Also, pretty sure RDC doesn’t give users a “verified” system in game lol

2 Likes

I completely agree, and I know I’m disabling this on every game I own. It’s simply abusable. For games that allow Discord reports, people are bound to accidently screenshot the display name instead of the users actual name, then the wrong person gets punished, and the real cheater gets away.

Guess I can’t wait to Say “Goodbye” to Display Names!

8 Likes

Not going to lie. This update is pretty okay but I’m interested in it! I can use DisplayName to name myself a BLXPXL or something like that but… Unfortunately, this might cause a big problem for the Roblox community including one thing:

• Impersonation could be dangerous. For example, someone uses your own username name as a display name to impersonate you and say to someone that you aren’t the real person. This will do the same thing for popular Roblox YouTuber and Roblox developers. I believe DevForum Community has been talking about this.
    Even this will makes scammer be able to hack users by changing DisplayName into Roblox Staff username.

If you guys want to make sure to prevent someone from using DisplayName to impersonate you. I have one thing that I would have to suggest:

• Whenever I saw this tweet when I was watching Koneko’s video about DisplayName. This is really better if you can see your actuals Roblox username with “@” below your display name. So, everybody knows you aren’t a Roblox staff, a popular Roblox developer, or Roblox YouTuber.

(Picture from @greenlegocats on Twitter.)

Alright, I have enough talking about this. Alright, bye. Lol

14 Likes

You know you can add one to your games

1 Like

I think the display name update will be cancelled

1 Like

Yeah, it’s quite obvious, and I’m sure the Roblox Moderation team is going to be heavily involved with punishing impersonation.

However, with the Germany test, I believe that they did not fully implement the filter for the DisplayName system, where I am quite sure “Roblox” will be on it.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why you want a “verified” system? If it’s in your own game, you get the game owner’s symbol, or can just add a script into the game. And having a verified system on the web for devs makes 0 sense.

2 Likes

Oh boy I have seen a bunch of bypassed names already…

3 Likes

Isn’t display name removed yet or… It’s just not allowed on my country or something…?

3 Likes

@Smileeiles @NinjaMandalorian

I don’t think you understand what I’m proposing. Anyone can impersonate a developer with display names, bully some people, and ruin that developer’s reputation. Star creators don’t have to worry about that because they have a verified system in ALL games. Developers can add one, but only to their games.

2 Likes

The option to change your display name yes, but your display name still shows up in-game. My account is stuck with the display name “red” until they add it back…

That’s something a lot of people are confused about. I’m in the U.S., and I am currently able to see that when someone set a display name it appears above their head but not on the leaderboard or in chat. I also can only see their username on their profile. I’m not sure what countries (if any) have the ability to change display names at the moment.

2 Likes

i like the update tho.
Its pretty cool to have a display name

7 Likes