Say "Hello" to Display Names!

Will spaces be allowed?
Underscores?

What i’m seeing here is basically the same thing as free username changes which i think is a fantastic idea BUT I hate the ability of using the same alias as somebody else. This could cause a lot of confusion and, as stated before; impersonation. Instead you should just make username changes free.

1 Like

Wondering how long it is gonna take before someone tries to falsely impersonate someone in an effort to make them look bad. Roblox has accidentally opened up the flood gates to an easy way to assassinate someone’s character and reputation.

2 Likes

Please check the OP and the docs!

It doesn’t but makes it pretty easier.

It’s still risky to have a game be played by 5-11 year-old’s and not have the owners name be on a Display Name blacklist. There should be a feature where developers can blacklist certain names inside of their own game.

1 Like

I think for not allowed display names (unless you are that person of course) should be:

Star creators
Staff
Verified/famous developers (newfissy, callmehbob, coeptus, etc.)
(In)famous users (ie. Quackcity)

1 Like

Is anyone ready for exploiters impersonating other people?

Developers can already do this themselves. I don’t see the need to make that a new feature. If you want to stop people from having the same displayname as you in your game all you have to do is kick them if they have it or use a custom fork/module of the chat to default to their username.

Indeed. While this is a cool idea for a feature, it doesn’t bring much wise of functionality to the table. Unless they modify this update to make it easy for developers without the ability to program able to differentiate each user or make some core modifications for this update’s plan. I believe that it is just a useless update that brings more confusion in a game/groups’ development cycle.

The verified tags should be rolled out with this, and perhaps even adding a feature where you can submit to Roblox a complaint saying you don’t want your username being allowed as a Display Name. A moderator can review it and add this to the database of restricted Display Names.

2 Likes

I think this is a good idea but the once every 7 days seems a bit short. In my opinion it should be around once a month or so.

That still wouldn’t solve the issue this change fixes. As Roblox grows, more and more good usernames will be taken. The only ones remaining are either unpronounceable or require you to add numbers at the end.

I believe it’s best that banned account usernames remain unusable due to the chance of impersonation.

1 Like

Are devs gonna be able to disable display names in game? Since in some games like Arsenal we aren’t allow to see the player list and it’s going to be hard to report hackers.

Also, impersonation is probably going to be a huge issue

2 Likes

I’d say allowing users to have access to much more names is a pretty nice QOL change. It’s subjective though.

I have to agree here with you there’s always someone who’s gonna be gullible enough to fall for the impersonation. This is just gonna cause more work for our far from perfect support trying to recover items and accounts.

are you saying that only famous rich devs could use display names? probably no i guess, it’s made for players, instead they could use another system which i just came up with:

You can’t use the same name as people in the Star Program and verified devs (as you said)

that’s the best solution i could find, they should use it to prevent impersonating

So that means that these will be allowed?!

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see a sort of verified user marking (like Twitter and checkmarks) for users that have connections to Roblox in way of having top games, being in the UGC program, Roblox staff, etc… Kind of like how the star program has the shooting stars in-game and staff with the badge.

4 Likes

Please read the OP. A new Player property exists to obtain a user’s DisplayName.