Say "Hello" to Display Names!

I finally got display names!
What type of characters can I change it to?

2 Likes

Did some investigating, turns out its probably using the same setup the sign up screen uses unlike before with the chinese letters & newline bugs.
Only weird thing in the system is the fact & and # will not be filtered properly so it can make it seem like a name is valid but saving it wont work.

2 Likes

Finally! USA finally has display names!

4 Likes

Display names are released in my country! I believe they might be released internationally now, but I need confirmation. They’re now released in 99% of the world, according to the original post.

4 Likes

I am excited for the release but, why is the Display names going to be released only to 99% of people and not 100% and when will it 100% release?

4 Likes

Nobody will ever know. It’s a dumb choice to be honest.

7 Likes

I personally really like this update as a whole. It’s nice being able to change your display name for free as opposed to having to spend 1,000 robux to change your username (which is also assuming the username you want isn’t taken already). As someone who finds it personally frustrating that there are millions of inactive accounts made for the sole purpose of taking usernames, this is a really good way to mitigate that problem.

I do feel like there should be a way for games to opt themselves out of the feature as a whole, as I can see why developers may not want something like this in their game, especially as outlined by @The13thHippie in a post on this thread.

My only other gripe with this update is a personal one, and it’s that some names are seemingly not allowed for no reason at all, especially in the case of the “Boojie” in my username, as for some unknown reason it is “not appropriate for Roblox”.

I don’t really find this a big deal eitherway, and it doesn’t really have to do with display names anwyays, just the filter itself.

Here’s a custom player list I made with this update, cheers.
Leaderboard

8 Likes

Woah, I think they added display names to the DevForum.

Also happy anniversary @be_nj! :cake:

5 Likes

Yep, you’re right, they did. If you don’t have it on here, but you do on Roblox, you’ll have to log out and then log back in to have it display on here.

4 Likes

Yay! It finally rolled out! Plus I enjoy the fact that they added Display Names in here too! I’ve been waiting for this since it got announced.

1 Like

Tried this using VPN previously and it was practically unusable with censorship, figured it was going to be better on full release but I still can’t use 2/3 of the innocent normal names I try to type, even names or items that ROBLOX would not accidentally censor normally, kinda let down as I can’t use any of the display names I had in mind despite them being okay.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s weird that words like “Super”, “Thorne”, “Gooroo”, and other normal words are censored.

1 Like

Seriously! RedSquirl and favorite videogame serousely censord according to copyright law and robux is also censord for several reason. sorry.

1 Like

I mean I have display names right here look (ignore my display name XD it is my main this is alt bc my main has wrong bday)

3 Likes

Whoa, I just heard of this. Wow. So, what is the other 1%? Is that a small island or even a country?

4 Likes

I think it’s released, in the Netherlands I have it without VPN

2 Likes

The USA aswell I’m pretty sure.

2 Likes

No, 1 percent of everywhere. 1 percent worldwide did not get the display names update yet.

4 Likes

Thank you! That was very helpful.

3 Likes

It’s been 100% released for a couple of days. And it’s not certain countries, it’s certain people.

3 Likes