Say hello to the new Lua dragger (Beta)

We’re aware of the need for this, and looking at making further improvements like allowing that in the near future.

For now since this is already a big change where we have to be careful to avoid breaking people’s building workflow we don’t want to change more than we have to, but don’t worry, we’re far from done with our changes to the building tools!

Are you sure this isn’t a community plugin you have or something like that? I was unaware of this functionality and can’t make it do this even with the Lua Draggers disabled.

Well It was a feature but didn’t talk about

I was using the select mode to mass delete some parts with ctrl x, and the whole system froze with me unable to click anything, the part was deleted, however, the selection box around the part was still visible even though there was nothing there. This seemed to be a visual glitch.

The parts I was deleting were just 2,2,2 parts with the material color of corroded metal, so they were nothing absurd.

(it looked like this but the part was non-existant in workspace)

1 Like

I love this new feature, it will make easier our ability to drag objects in ROBLOX STUDIO. Thank you for this amazing improvement. :star_struck:

It sounds in the coming future we will wont need any builders lol which is perfect for saving more robux

While this new dragger is much better, it has some severe bugs atm. Still, its better than the old one. While testing the lua dragger it just stuck many times and i had to switch to the old one and restart studio.

Floating point errors seem to occur when rotating wedges by 90 degrees:

Notes:

• Once you adjust the floating point error values yourself, the error no longer persists for that part.
  • Error seems to occur regardless of size (?)
  1. Before rotating 90 degrees

2. After rotating 90 degrees (rotation values still appear fine)

3. After releasing the rotation tool (errors occur)

This seems quite cool but when will it be released because as of now I can’t find it in beta features.

There is a fix for this in next week, 90 degree rotations should never cause any floating point error afterwards.

1 Like

@Jagerzdxx Are you sure?

1 Like

I gave a quick search through the topic to see if anyone else mentioned this, but didn’t see anything. If this is already known please disregard this.

I’ve noticed that when you drag a model with the select tool, the rotation is reset. Is there any way to drag a part and maintain the orientation?

Currently no. I figured that most of the use cases where you would want this are better served with axis move than freeform dragging. If you have a particular use case that’s hard without it, please share.

Best update i’ve seen :smiley:

1 Like

Is there any way to improve the visuals on the Rotator tool?

When the rotation tool’s UI is pushed inside of a model it turns transparent, revealing the seams between the edges of the circles. Is there any way to remove these, as well as possibly changing these to be toruses instead of using rectangular sides?

2 Likes

I love it. Will definitely be using it. :+1:

1 Like

I have an extension to the CylinderHandleAdornment API in the backlog which will let me improve the visual (though it still won’t be a torus). Completing that is one of the first improvements I’ll be making after the draggers are out of beta.

2 Likes

When you use Control to scale in both directions, and have been scaling in one already, the draggers act as if you were holding control the whole time:

[Video wont upload ;/]

As opposed to the old system:

[Video wont upload ;/]

Another problem is that studio gets incredibly laggy when scaling parts that are, to be honest, pretty small. It lags with a part the size of 30x1x2 which is basically nothing. The old system can handle parts in the thousands and there is no frame issue whatsoever.

These problems are very annoying to work with and as such I’m sticking with the old system until they are fixed.
side note: I can never upload videos of anyt format, ever. The website just refuses to upload them, or it will get to 99% and then give up.

This is an intentional change to make it more in line with how toggles like that work in other WYSIWYG editors. Could you describe a particular workflow that this change breaks?

Is it only scaling that has an issue? Or move / rotate as well? What combinations of Join Surfaces / Collisions do you have the problem with?

1 Like

I’ve encountered a bug where the Lua draggers are not highlighting. Rolling mouse over doesn’t highlight the movers, and they do not function if attempting to drag.

I tried to re-create this bug but it seems to occur and resolve itself sporadically, in this case after around 10 minutes the draggers were fine again. This is NOT the first time I’ve encountered this, I’ve found that re-launching studio seems to fix the problem.

System Specs (incase you need them)