Say hello to the new Lua dragger (Beta)

P̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶ ̶1̶:̶ ̶V̶i̶r̶t̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶S̶u̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶v̶i̶d̶e̶o̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶n̶

EDIT: I forgot this only works for empty space

Problem 2: The points are too dark
C++ one:
Lua:

15 Likes

It will align the bounding box of the chair to the wedge. The first thing the dragger does when you pick stuff up is calculate a bounding box for all the stuff you’re dragging. It then treats the bounding box as a black box, and does all snapping based on that bounding box rather than any of the details of the stuff within it.

Sorry for the confusion with the feature: it’s because you’re dragging onto the baseplate, so the part naturally snaps to the baseplate. The virtual surfaces are only used when there’s nothing under your mouse that could otherwise be used to drag the selection onto.

11 Likes

Wow. Now I don’t have to worry about ruining everything when working on a highly compact map. Thanks alot!

8 Likes

Ohhh man!! First I danced to Rick Astley with coefficients, then I took a great survey, then I got 3x more robux from premium users, and now this! Roblox is spoiling us today :hidere:

11 Likes

This is great, finally! I’m definitely going to use this often.

7 Likes

Yes.

We made sure to program these in a way that generates the minimal possible floating point error: The only time that that any floating point error is “committed” is when you change your selection, you can move something around as much as you want without accumulating any additional floating point error.

18 Likes

Finally dragging is easier to use! I always hated how hard it was to just drag something into the right place, especially in very tall builds where it would end up 2000 studs above where it should be.

8 Likes

I just found another 2 problem

Problem 1: Not able to resize the part smaller once one side of the part got the least size.
Problem 2: Seems “Drag multiple parts as single part” is true whatever the settings is

C++:

Lua:

7 Likes

The parts size for some reason is interrupting me being able to resize it? Is this intentional?

13 Likes

Oh yes! Finally my builders for my game can work without any stress with the tools, it will help starters to! Thanks and I hope this isn’t a prank…
But thanks anyways!

7 Likes

No, DM me a test place showing the issue.

8 Likes

Oooooo, this is a really nice feature. Makes building a lot easier now. I like it :+1:

8 Likes

Oh wow this is awesome, I personally don’t have much issues with the old draggers, there are a few… As a builder primarily this change looks to be great and more options.

Looking forward to when I get to test it out. Especially after getting a smooth camera plugin building will be do much better!

Edit: one big issue I have with building are selection or snap boxes around parts, it’s especially difficult when trying to get things flush with other parts.

7 Likes

Wow. Seeing those clips makes the old dragger look so substandard.

Next stop: apply this new behaviour to the broken HopperBin building tools?

9 Likes

builders: blender is better than studio for building
studio: ima bout to end this mans whole career

15 Likes

A feature I never thought I wanted, but fixes issues I’ve always dealt with without thinking it would ever be fixed so ignored it. Thanks, it all looks good on paper, I’ll have to see in practice soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The mouse icon shouldn’t be a dragger when there is nothing to drag

https://i.gyazo.com/0921a6560657af77f10a9912f32df520.mp4

28 Likes

Will we able to set the snapping to the thousands? I know this wouldn’t be used much but it gets annoying to precisely position individual parts by the properties.

4 Likes

Part of the goal of the new snapping functionality is to avoid having to care about manual numeric positioning in most cases.

If you’re just working on something very very small, a better workflow might be to create the object at 8x scale (or any power of two, so that there’s minimal floating point error when you scale it) and then scale the whole model down when you’re finished with it.

The reason being that the engine in general is not designed to play nice with very small objects, so even if we changed the limit on the grid snapping, it wouldn’t fix as much as you would hope.

5 Likes

This is too good to be true; is it an April Fool’s joke? :thinking:

7 Likes