Say hello to the new Lua dragger (Beta)

This is incredible! I’ll be able to work significantly faster now with these updates. Thanks for all the hard work you guys did to make this happen!

2 Likes

It seems that the line thickness setting can’t be set to 0.05 or 0.00, probably due to floating point errors or something. For now I can cirumvent it by putting in values like 0.000001 or 0.0499999, but it’s a bit annoying.

Also, it seems that the HoverBox is the only thing that respects the line thickness setting, and the actual selection box remains at the usual thickness. I’m assuming this is due to it still being based in C++, but are there any plans to change that?

5 Likes

every word in the english dictionary wouldn’t explain how happy I am for this

2 Likes

Wow, I’ve waiting so long for this to be improved, great job!

2 Likes

Word from who used the dragger before finding out how to alter how much you want your block to move, this is a great feature to have no it will be so much easier to drag items like on walls rather than having to switch.

2 Likes

Woke up to this and I probably said hell yeah a good 10 times watching those videos.

3 Likes

The transform dragger is already Lua, and in fact has been written in Lua ever since it was first introduced! You can actually copy it out of the BuiltInPlugins directory and edit it if you’re so inclined.

We have no plans for it one way or the other at the current time since very few people actually use it (think well under 1%). Rest assured, since it’s written in Lua, even if it does get removed from the core set of build tools at some point, you’ll still be able to download and continue using it as a plugin.

There is code for this in the new draggers but it must have broken recently, thanks for the report.

Overall we did not intentionally remove any functionality in this update, if you find anything you can’t do anymore which you could do before, that’s a bug which we will fix.

4 Likes

This is because the new dragging behavior is a mix between both of the old behaviors, so the old setting doesn’t really apply anymore. If you have a use case that is difficult to fulfill without having that option available please let us know so we can make sure that we’re providing a solution for it.

1 Like

I was only scaling by one stud, and I ran into a few annoyances. image

GIFs

9 Likes

What makes you say this? If you hit Ctrl + L you will find they support the local / global space toggle the same as before.

1 Like

This update is invaluable to so many applications. Personally I mostly use vanilla studio tools for building, and this makes the experience so much better. I didn’t know I needed this until now!

3 Likes

Oh! I don’t think I could find it by doing right click though… But thanks for letting me know that Ctrl + L works. Let me check again.

Edit: Confirmed, I cannot find global/local space by doing right click

2 Likes

And despite having collisions on, I’m able to drag parts into each-other?

GIF

9 Likes

Thanks for the report, I did not notice that the right click option is missing with the new draggers since I only use the shortcut.

That is the new intended behavior. Dragging now only takes the part your mouse is over into account and none of the other parts. The thinking being that the other parts bumping the part you’re dragging out of the way probably won’t resolve the collision in the way you wanted anyways, so we prefer to predictably position the part in a way where you can quickly resolve the collision yourself as desired.

6 Likes

This is great! Now I don’t have to spend 2 minutes trying to snap to corners!

4 Likes

As for people who are having the issue with scaling parts: The issue with scaling the incorrect face ocurrs when you scale a single part in Global Coordinate mode. As a temporary workaround make sure you’re in Local Coordinate mode (switch by pressing Ctrl + L) before you scale a single part.

1 Like

Two word’s, thank you! This has been a problem for so long!

2 Likes

I’m also experiencing this. I work in a large place as well and my PC just can’t handle the performance impact. Gonna have to stick to the old tools for now :pensive:

1 Like

What would be the process of making this dragger work in a live game? So far I’ve ripped the MoveDragger, RotateDragger, ScaleDragger, and SelectDragger from the BuiltInPlugins folder but it’s kind of overwhelming

2 Likes